Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
No, I don't think it would hold at all. Serve the green beans--they hold their color
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29043 at 9:35 pm on Sep 26, 2016
as well as anything else. And if you roast them, I don't find they turn gray--but they also won't hold.
And I agree about no briami--THAT is a lot work and hard to portion really because of the variety of things in it--and I LOVE it.
Green beans, tiny lima beans (we call them butter beans), even peas and carrots. Bring to a boil from frozen and serve.
Another green bean that is really good is Italan green beans. They are VERY good frozen, and I like them better than regular "string" beans.
Just my opinion, but serving that many, and having to arrange the oven situation, I think simplifying without compromising flavor is a good idea. You can get a LOT of green beans/etc. in a stock pot on top of the stove--spill them into a serving pan for serving.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29043. Dilemma: how to roast Brussels sprouts ahead and reheat? - cheezz - 10:29pm on 09/23/16 (24)
- I wouldn't. I'd minimally par-cook ahead and then roast high before serving. - MarilynFL - 11:43pm on 09/23/16
- That's the problem - no oven space. We'll be baking 300 mini meat loaves :( [NT] - cheezz - 11:46pm on 09/23/16
- ah, well that changes things. I thought you just wanted to prep ahead.. Would it be possible - MarilynFL - 11:52pm on 09/23/16
- The meat loaves will hold better than the sprouts!! [NT] - Charley - 12:31am on 09/24/16
- I think it is that you need a different veggie then. They will not be good if - Charley - 12:29am on 09/24/16
- We originally wanted to do green beans, but they get that grayish-green look too [NT] - cheezz - 2:18am on 09/24/16
- I suggest you get frozen haricot verts, bring to a boil and serve--maybe butter and almonds. [NT] - Charley - 6:55am on 09/24/16
- Maybe big pans of Briami?It's fine at room temp and you'll get your potatoes & veggies as all in one - MoNJ - 11:10am on 09/24/16
- This is a great idea.. You can always stick them in the oven or - KarenNoCA - 1:41pm on 09/24/16
- I was inspired by this to make a half sheet pan of all veggies, no potatoes, - KarenNoCA - 4:34pm on 09/24/16
- BB (before Briami), I made ratatouille - colleenmomof2 - 11:25am on 09/25/16
- I usually serve corn with meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Easy and you can do on stovetop. [NT] - LisainLA - 2:16pm on 09/24/16
- I also do corn w/ meatloaf. [NT] - barb_b - 12:29pm on 09/26/16
- Corn+potatoes=2 starches and no green veg. This crowd clamors for green veggies [NT] - cheezz - 9:08pm on 09/26/16
- Jane, the Briami idea is a good one- can use any number of veggies in it, can omit potatoes - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:29pm on 09/24/16
- And how about a sprinkle of corn on the top of your roasted veggies? - colleenmomof2 - 11:30am on 09/25/16
- Briami is too "complicated". We want to do a simple roasted veg with the meatloaf and mashed potatoe - cheezz - 3:17am on 09/26/16
- ok- how about zucchini chunks roasted with a bit of onion? - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:24pm on 09/26/16
- Would that roast, then hold a day or two, then reheat well? [NT] - cheezz - 8:59pm on 09/26/16
- That sounds good but an "all American" side has been requested. We really wanted green beans - cheezz - 9:03pm on 09/26/16
- All-American green vegetable from my childhood was canned peas. - MarilynFL - 12:36pm on 09/28/16
- No, I don't think it would hold at all. Serve the green beans--they hold their color - Charley - 9:35pm on 09/26/16
- you are wrong. Have used zucchini that way on catering jobs several times. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:02pm on 09/27/16
- Does it HAVE to be hot? America's Test Kitchen *Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad* [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:48pm on 09/26/16