Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Diabetic diet - any suggestions?
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29252 at 10:42 pm on Dec 5, 2016
My husband was pre-diabetic but his number hit 205 recently. His doctor said if it was still there 6 months from now, he'd be officially diabetic. We went a short class at Kaiser for pre-diabetics but it left a lot of questions about actually fixing meals that aren't plain and boring. Kaiser doesn't have a follow-up class for nutrition for diabetics.
We've cut back on bread, using thin slices sometimes; fix eggs; oatmeal with walnuts, non-fat greek yogurt, berries and walnuts. More soups. Arguing about whether my vegetarian chili is ok, is butternut squash soup ok, etc. We're eating more veggies and chicken. My husband's answer is to simply eat less and he is losing weight, but the meals aren't balanced at all, which concerns me that this could lead to nutritional deficiencies.
This comes on top of a hard year for other problems. Can you recommend a good cookbook or two?
Other messages in this thread:
- 29252. Diabetic diet - any suggestions? - Anna_X - 10:42pm on 12/05/16 (18)
- I think the South beach diet hits the notes pretty well--low carb. [NT] - Charley - 10:56pm on 12/05/16
- There is so much info out there both online and recipes. Have you checked Amazon - KarenNoCA - 11:47pm on 12/05/16
- A friend found some online diabetic forums helpful for managing her [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:13am on 12/06/16
- And here's another forum she visits. I will ask her about books. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:15am on 12/06/16
- I think there is a difference in the diet for Type L and Type II also. [NT] - Charley - 1:54pm on 12/06/16
- Thank you! These suggestions look very helpful! [NT] - Anna_X - 6:47am on 12/06/16
- Check out Suzanne somers somercize books the food is great - MariaDNoCA - 8:34am on 12/06/16
- So sorry to hear about your DH. My DH is diabetic--this dietician is wonderful [LINK] - MoNJ - 1:27pm on 12/06/16
- Diabetes help - Marsha tbay - 4:30pm on 12/07/16
- You have very concrete suggestions. I am not yet familiar... - Anna_X - 12:50am on 12/08/16
- Here's the recipe and more info for your, Anna. - Marsha tbay - 9:35pm on 12/08/16
- Amazon has sugar free chocolate chips, called PASCHA [NT] - Marsha tbay - 4:26pm on 12/08/16
- Here is a good link for ketogenic foods - Marsha tbay - 3:45pm on 12/13/16
- Link 3 pages of diabetic recipes [NT] [LINK] - Olga_D_Ont - 5:46pm on 12/07/16
- What a treasure trove of suggestions! You are wonderful! - Anna_X - 12:44am on 12/08/16
- I have started to share Ketogenic desserts in the Forum of Special Diets...Diabetes [NT] - Marsha tbay - 4:30pm on 12/13/16
- Thanks Marsha, appreciate learning more, and always love your rec. - barb_b - 4:45pm on 12/13/16
- Barbara, you are so very kind!!! Thank you!!! Give yourself a hug for me!!! :) [NT] - Marsha tbay - 5:09pm on 12/13/16