Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Feb 25, 2006
Posted to Thread #29252 at 4:30 pm on Dec 7, 2016
My Dr brought the eyesight of a diabetic back, so I have learned a lot from him for my husband.
First the no's: until a diabetic is healed no:
rice, grains, no fruit except berries...no peas, no tomatoes, no white potatoes, no white bread, no coconut sugar, no carrots, no corn, no bananas.
Can's....sweet potatoes, sourdough bread, berries, whole wheat flour. SWERVE sweetener, stevia; only Black Hills Gold Source Yacon Syrup....KETOGENIC diet...FAT is the best for diabetics. Only dill pickles.
Now, once in a while I give him Cream of Wheat and use English Toffee Stevia (available at Amazon)....It reminds one of maple syrup. I cook protein powder into the cream of wheat and add a side of bacon.
I buy Red Fife Whole Wheat Flour from BREADTOPIA. I use that in my Berry 'Cobbler'...I use the Yacon Syrup in the pudding.
Regarding the Ketogenic diet...I add cheese to my husband's eggs, use heavy cream in his berry cobbler.
Protein...half your weight in ounces of protein. If you weight 100#, you should have 50oz of protein every day. I use my Dr's protein powder; also for anti-inflammation I use his flax/fish oil (love it) in my husband's chocolate protein shake. That's a good way to get all the protein one needs.
Use CACAO, not cocoa. CACAO has no sugar. I use this in a chocolate pudding with avocado in the food processor. If you'd like the recipe, just ask.
As I've added more fat to the diet (cheese on salads, etc) his numbers have been getting better all the time.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29252. Diabetic diet - any suggestions? - Anna_X - 10:42pm on 12/05/16 (18)
- I think the South beach diet hits the notes pretty well--low carb. [NT] - Charley - 10:56pm on 12/05/16
- There is so much info out there both online and recipes. Have you checked Amazon - KarenNoCA - 11:47pm on 12/05/16
- A friend found some online diabetic forums helpful for managing her [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:13am on 12/06/16
- And here's another forum she visits. I will ask her about books. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 12:15am on 12/06/16
- I think there is a difference in the diet for Type L and Type II also. [NT] - Charley - 1:54pm on 12/06/16
- Thank you! These suggestions look very helpful! [NT] - Anna_X - 6:47am on 12/06/16
- Check out Suzanne somers somercize books the food is great - MariaDNoCA - 8:34am on 12/06/16
- So sorry to hear about your DH. My DH is diabetic--this dietician is wonderful [LINK] - MoNJ - 1:27pm on 12/06/16
- Diabetes help - Marsha tbay - 4:30pm on 12/07/16
- You have very concrete suggestions. I am not yet familiar... - Anna_X - 12:50am on 12/08/16
- Here's the recipe and more info for your, Anna. - Marsha tbay - 9:35pm on 12/08/16
- Amazon has sugar free chocolate chips, called PASCHA [NT] - Marsha tbay - 4:26pm on 12/08/16
- Here is a good link for ketogenic foods - Marsha tbay - 3:45pm on 12/13/16
- Link 3 pages of diabetic recipes [NT] [LINK] - Olga_D_Ont - 5:46pm on 12/07/16
- What a treasure trove of suggestions! You are wonderful! - Anna_X - 12:44am on 12/08/16
- I have started to share Ketogenic desserts in the Forum of Special Diets...Diabetes [NT] - Marsha tbay - 4:30pm on 12/13/16
- Thanks Marsha, appreciate learning more, and always love your rec. - barb_b - 4:45pm on 12/13/16
- Barbara, you are so very kind!!! Thank you!!! Give yourself a hug for me!!! :) [NT] - Marsha tbay - 5:09pm on 12/13/16