Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chard and Saffron Omelets, from PLENTY, by Yotam Ottolenghi. I seldom buy cookbooks
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #29304 at 8:52 pm on Dec 23, 2016
anymore, since so much is available online, but a friend gave this book to me as a gift and it is fantastic. Vegetarian recipes by a non-vegetarian chef. This is the first recipe I've tried but I intend to sample many more. It may be our first course on New Year's
CHARD AND SAFFRON OMELETS
1/2 lb. (1 medium) waxy potato, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch dice
1 cup water
Pinch of saffron threads
3/4 lb. Swiss chard (stalks and leaves) washed and shredded
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup mixed chopped herbs (tarragon, dill, parsley)
1/2 cup crème fraiche, cold
Put the potatoes, water and saffron in a big pan and slowly bring to a simmer. After four minutes, add the chard, season, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until the potato is soft and the water evaporated. (Drain off any liquid left in the pan.) Off the heat, add the lemon juice and garlic. Leave to cool.
For the omelettes, whisk the eggs, milk, herbs and some salt and pepper. Pour a teaspoon of oil into a large, hot non-stick pan, pour in a quarter of the egg mix and make a thin, round omelette. Transfer to a kitchen towel to cool, and repeat three times.
Spread half of each omelet with crème fraîche. Taste the chard mix, adjust the seasoning accordingly and spread generously over the crème fraîche. Fold the omelet over the covered half, then fold along the center to get a fan-shaped case. Make sure the filling shows at the open side. Arrange on a lightly oiled ovenproof dish. To serve, preheat the oven to 325*F, and bake for five to eight minutes, or until hot. Serve at once.
·Yotam Ottolenghi is chef-patron of Ottolenghi, London.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29304. REC: Chard and Saffron Omelets, from PLENTY, by Yotam Ottolenghi. I seldom buy cookbooks - Joe - 8:52pm on 12/23/16 (13)
- I love this book, the recipes, the photos, the padded book cover, all of it! [NT] - KarenNoCA - 11:50pm on 12/23/16
- Yeah, what's with the padded book cover? I think my parents's Bible had that. - Joe - 4:44am on 12/24/16
- It certainly attracts attention from guests at our house. Sometimes I have it on - KarenNoCA - 2:13pm on 12/24/16
- Have all his books, outstanding them all.... [NT] - SallyBR - 2:21pm on 12/24/16
- I am attempting his potato Tatin tonight. Chrstmas Eve menu for two: - Joe - 12:34am on 12/25/16
- Here is the Chestnut and Chocolate Torte recipe: [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 12:35am on 12/25/16
- What an interesting menu, Joe. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:11pm on 12/25/16
- Thanks! The potato Tatin was amazing--I'll post the recipe later. The Chocolate Chestnut torte - Joe - 6:52pm on 12/25/16
- Yes wondered about chestnuts and chocolate in that recipe. Glad the Tatin was great. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:00pm on 12/25/16
- And by the way, you/Jacques ought to come for a visit. Wish you could be here with Richard/Tim [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:02pm on 12/25/16
- Well that would certainly be a hoot! [NT] - barb_b - 9:06pm on 12/25/16
- Thank you! That would be wonderful. I wish we could pull it off that soon. [NT] - Joe - 4:25pm on 12/26/16
- Doesn't really matter when....it would be too much fun to have you both stay at chez moi. - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:29pm on 12/26/16