Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
RCP: Pork Chops with Rice Burgundy
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #29472 at 12:12 am on Mar 10, 2017
4 bone-in pork Chops about 1 inch thick
salt and pepper
2 Tbs. fat
4 thick slices onion
4 thick slices of a green bell and a red bell pepper
2 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup California Burgundy wine or other good red
oregano to taste
1/2 cup uncooked rice
Dust pork chops with salt and pepper, and brown in fat. I skip this browning step. If you brown, add poultry seasoning after browning to both sides of chops.
Place chops in a large baking dish, sprinkle rice around chops in open spaces. Place onion, and pepper slices on top of chops.
Mix tomato sauce, burgundy, and oregano, heat to boiling and pour over chops and rice. Cover tightly, bake at 350° for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serves 4
My notes, I found the browning step can be omitted, but feel free to do it if you want.
Recipe is from a little book called The Wine Cook Book with only 54 recipes from the Wine Advisory Board in San Francisco. I have been cooking this recipe for about 40 years. Simple, easy and very tasty. Have your meat cutter cut the chops so they are all the same thickness and size. Kids, women and men love this recipe.
This recipe was developed when folks did not eat as much as they do now. I usually use about 3/4 cup rice and find it works well with just a little more liquid added. It feeds the two of us for two nights.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 29472. Jasmine Rice info please - KarenNoCA - 5:24pm on 03/08/17 (21)
- Jasmine is a long grain rice so it will be a great substitute. All the others - orchid - 6:27pm on 03/08/17
- Thanks Orchid! I got a bit overwhelmed this morning when I discovered all the Jasmine I had. - KarenNoCA - 7:24pm on 03/08/17
- Arborio is used to make risotto I believe [NT] - cheezz - 9:43pm on 03/08/17
- That dish sounds wonderful! Would you be able to share the recipe please. Dh loves pork chops! [NT] - barb_b - 10:41am on 03/09/17
- How in the name of Porky the Pig do you get tender porkchops??? I've just - MarilynFL - 12:26pm on 03/09/17
- Pork is terrible now. The public demanded less fat years ago. and now the port is dry, tough - KarenNoCA - 3:19pm on 03/09/17
- When I get to the side of town that has the old fashioned butcher shop, I call ahead and ask - KarenNoCA - 3:25pm on 03/09/17
- Sadly that hasn't worked for me, at least not with hand-cut Whole Food or Fresh Market chops. [NT] - MarilynFL - 9:33pm on 03/09/17
- We buy Nimen Ranch pork chops - delicious, tender and flavorful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:07pm on 03/09/17
- Agreed, delicious. Good quality pork unlike most supermarket - Pat-NoCal - 5:51pm on 03/09/17
- I've only ever had Nimen bacon. Didn't know they had other products. Will be on the lookout. [NT] - MarilynFL - 9:33pm on 03/09/17
- Look for Duroc long bone pork chops. Marbled, very fine quality. Expensive but really good. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:47am on 03/10/17
- I did...after reading your post when you came back to the states No luck in the upper-end stores in - MarilynFL - 4:35pm on 03/11/17
- Haven't seen Duroc here on the mainland either....will keep looking. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58pm on 03/11/17
- A friend hand-carries Duroc chops to me from California. - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:01pm on 03/11/17
- Oh brother!!! You're never gonna believe where I found Duroc pork chops today, and - Pat-NoCal - 12:28am on 03/16/17
- I don't know Pat- I don't shop there often but will look. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:50pm on 03/16/17
- Aha- go to the Niman website and click on the pork link. Duroc is there. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:03pm on 03/11/17
- Sorry- Nimen [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:03pm on 03/11/17
- Oh okay, I see now that Duroc is one of the breeds Niman - Pat-NoCal - 2:15pm on 03/12/17
- RCP: Pork Chops with Rice Burgundy - KarenNoCA - 12:12am on 03/10/17