Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I should add one note on what I did yesterday. This is something that I also do when roasting turke
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #29519 at 9:16 pm on Mar 29, 2017
Instead of putting the meat on a rack, after I crisped the skin, I put a bed of vegetables in the roaster and set the meat on it. My veggie mix included:
Onions, celery, carrots, very finely chopped leeks and a small amount of potatoes which I basically threw in because I had them and wanted to add some bulk. I just added a little grape seed oil and pepper and a couple splashes of red pepper sauce to the veggies (not the meat).
The meat I had seasoned with pink salt, garlic, black and white pepper, thyme, oregano and rubbed it into the meat and the scores I'd made on the skin.
The meat got great reviews but I heard something that is rarely said in my house from anyone under 40: "I like the vegetables even more than the meat"
Other messages in this thread:
- 29519. what to do with pork "picnic" shoulder roast? - pmassell_93 - 6:39pm on 03/28/17 (18)
- I have never cooked one but I did look up to see exactly what it was and this site [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 7:08pm on 03/28/17
- It's just part of the shoulder and good for anything a shoulder is--like pulled pork - Charley - 7:15pm on 03/28/17
- yes those are the issues I faced - pmassell_93 - 7:46pm on 03/28/17
- You can do stuff in a regular roasting pan with no problem. - Charley - 8:42pm on 03/28/17
- OH, wait. You have the real hog skin on that picnic. Cut through it somewhere and lift it - Charley - 9:17pm on 03/28/17
- Bavarian Roasted Pork [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 8:17pm on 03/28/17
- I like that you cook the skin a bit before scoring it. I will try this thanks. [NT] - pmassell_93 - 8:42pm on 03/28/17
- Sauerbraten [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 8:17pm on 03/28/17
- Go to Cuba....Cuban Pork Roast, Fried Plaintains, Black Beans and rice. [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 9:06pm on 03/28/17
- I'd love to. One of my goals. [NT] - pmassell_93 - 11:49pm on 03/28/17
- This was marvelous: Debbie in GA's Twelve-hour Pork Shoulder Roast [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:15pm on 03/29/17
- nice - on my list now. Thank you Marilyn [NT] - pmassell_93 - 9:09pm on 03/29/17
- Roast it whole, high heat (450º) for half an hour then. . . - mistral - 8:22pm on 03/29/17
- SO next time I'm gonna slow roast but yesterday on instict and with a bit of help here - pmassell_93 - 9:07pm on 03/29/17
- I should add one note on what I did yesterday. This is something that I also do when roasting turke - pmassell_93 - 9:16pm on 03/29/17
- You said the answer - Charley - 10:19pm on 03/29/17
- Maybe you get different pork than we get out here . . . - mistral - 12:06am on 04/02/17
- Sorry, this should read: "turn the heat down to 350º and cook until 160º . . . " - mistral - 11:56pm on 04/01/17