Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
pretty much anything can grow in NorCal except coffee. If only...!!!
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #29708 at 7:12 pm on Jun 25, 2017
I really got to appreciate this living in Maine for a few years. Trying to garden was SO difficult. Not just the short growing season but the pests were surreal and I was trying to do it with only natural methods at a time where there wasn't this magical instant information Internet to help.
Our only failure in NorCal was Avocados and an Italian fig. My great-grandfather brought a fig tree over from Italy turn of the century. My grandfather tended that tree for decades in Queens, NY which when he was a kid was farmland. Amazing to think if you are familiar with the area near Kennedy Airport. Since then various family members have planted trees all over the place from cuttings from that tree. Unfortunately on several attempts it would not take at our place. There was something in the soil that it didn't like but a friend of ours who manages some ranches in Sonoma County got some to take on one of the ranches so the legacy continues here in NorCal.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29708. Marilyn, this article made me think of you. This is where I got your cots last time [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 1:27am on 06/23/17 (7)
- uggh...blocked at work. Will read this weekend. Thanks! [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:35pm on 06/23/17
- Great article, M. Thank you for sharing. Their apricots were truly the most beautiful and perfect - MarilynFL - 1:15pm on 06/24/17
- really sad and I empathize - pmassell_93 - 6:11pm on 06/25/17
- Yes we finally took our apricot tree out because of the birds - MariaDNoCA - 6:28pm on 06/25/17
- pretty much anything can grow in NorCal except coffee. If only...!!! - pmassell_93 - 7:12pm on 06/25/17
- My sister even got bananas to grow in Southern California! Haven't tried that but pretty much - MariaDNoCA - 10:16pm on 06/26/17
- Remember also that you can get a "semi-dwarf" tree and keep the the top whacked . . . - mistral - 10:18pm on 06/26/17