Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29813 at 9:38 pm on Aug 21, 2017
Well, let me tell you--it was "something".
We did drive to Charleston Sunday and had a WONDERFUL dinner at an Italian restaurant. EVERY hotel was at capacity. I had made our reservations in June and I knew where (North Charleston) it was but it was CHEAP. And fine. VERY nice people.
Today it was supposed to rain over the entire coast. SO se just started to drive north (to where our beach place is--70 miles from ctown) and decided to just continue to the condo, unload, and then go back south to Georgetown.
We made a circle through Georgewon ( a Wonderufl Revolutionary War ere ttown) and they were win full swing. People were on the sidewalks at 10AM, lots getting ready, etc.
Unloaded our things and headed back. Traffic had really picked up (12noon) so we just pulled into a big parking lot in Georgetown. Perfect. Our kids met a delightful young man who was in full thrall, having driven from Pittsburgh for this. He hung out with us. our DGD was running around. As the "bite" got bigger out of the sun we all got more excited. There were drifting clouds and when it was near totality, we were yelling at them to go away. It just began to get subtley dark--the shadow got longer and the sky blackish gray. It was wonderful to see the sliver get smaller and smaller and then truly when it was total, it was just mystical and magical.
Then as the sun reappeared DD pointed to the ground and there were "shimmers' of sunlight that looked like a river water moving. It was ALL worth everything we did to do it.
The traffic back to our beach place was bumper to bumper--15 minute trip took an hour.
I may have some pictures and I'll share. DS was in Charlotte and was all set to take them also. It was probably 98% there--don't know about weather.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29813. Eclipse report - Charley - 9:38pm on 08/21/17 (12)
- What a great story! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see the pics, but your words describing - barb_b - 10:35pm on 08/21/17
- What a lovely comment. Thank YOU. [NT] - Charley - 11:50am on 08/22/17
- Our experience here in Redding was not so thrilling, We expected somewhere around 85% totality, - KarenNoCA - 3:13pm on 08/22/17
- How did they do the eye protection? Some of what they used to say is not - Charley - 5:39pm on 08/22/17
- Mostly, I saw those boxes they make with a pin hole in them. I saw other things - KarenNoCA - 5:16pm on 08/27/17
- We were in Charleston downtown at a small park. The clouds - rhoward2va - 12:05pm on 08/23/17
- Amen to the reservations I did not hear whether mcClellanville was cloudy or not. - Charley - 2:27pm on 08/23/17
- The Grocery, Stella's and Indaco for dinner; Mercantile and - rhoward2va - 11:29pm on 08/23/17
- Bon banh mi looks fun. Do they live in Charleston proper? Our grandson - Charley - 4:31pm on 08/24/17
- Yes, they moved downtown about a year ago from north Charleston. - rhoward2va - 6:27pm on 08/24/17
- It's just across the bridge. Nice town. And then on to the beaches from there. [NT] - Charley - 4:14pm on 08/25/17
- WILL SEE TOTAL ECLIPSE AGAIN IN 2024!!!! - colleenmomof2 - 3:29pm on 08/24/17