Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Haven't worked with the 5 lb. blocks
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29928 at 2:40 pm on Oct 21, 2017
of caramel but many years ago I made caramel popcorn using the method at the link with a bag of ready made caramels and it worked fine. Ever since then I've only made caramel from scratch (including at the restaurant where we made big stockpots of it several times a week).
Do you know the source of your block of caramel? If so they may have recommendations for use and/or recipes. The caramel shouldn't be that much different from what comes in a bag but then you never know what ingredients/preservatives they used which might affect the outcome of how you're planning to use it.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. That's a whole lot of caramel. :-)
PS: Do a search on Poppycock here in the archives. I make it almost every Christmas, bag it in festive cellophane bags and give to friends and neighbors. You may be able to adapt and use your block of caramel in that recipe. That Poppycock is good schtuff.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29928. Fun, fun, fun! Give me your ideas for using a Five POUND block of caramel - Melissa Dallas - 11:30pm on 10/19/17 (17)
- Wonderful drizzled on ice cream. And lovely in caramel pecan brownies, [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:11am on 10/20/17
- Brownies with a layer of caramel inside. I started making it for our work group and it ended up [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:02pm on 10/20/17
- Ha. Sister/friend we think alike. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:03pm on 10/20/17
- We do, we do. Caramel and chocolate...what's not to like. Although...have to say - Pat-NoCal - 2:57pm on 10/20/17
- Me too. I got burned out on Ina's which are not cheap by any stretch of imagination. I was - MarilynFL - 5:57pm on 10/20/17
- Turtle brownies are in my future! [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:25am on 10/21/17
- Caramel popcorn. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:40am on 10/21/17
- Do you melt it & cook to a higher temp before tossing/baking? [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 2:24am on 10/21/17
- Cut into squares, dip in dark chocolate for Christmas bonbons. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:23pm on 10/22/17
- I lop off 14-oz hunks to use in CHOCO-CARAMEL BARS--was originally given this REC by my cousin - wigs - 2:41pm on 10/22/17
- I did a caramel apple bar for the kids this weekend. I melted caramel; put in a small crockpot - barb_b - 10:24pm on 10/22/17
- Lucky kids! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:37am on 10/23/17
- Thanks for all the yummy ideas all. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 12:44am on 10/24/17
- Well, maybe you could adapt this recipe for egg yolks cured in bourbon caramel. - Charley - 12:05pm on 10/27/17
- Just saw a cute blog where a lady took green grapes, individually pierced with toothpicks - Heather_in_SF - 10:40pm on 11/01/17