Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
depends which browser you are using
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #29998 at 5:26 pm on Dec 1, 2017
most browsers do not give you an encoding option by default in your right-click menu. In Firefox and Safari you'd need to go to the View menu > Text Encoding. Not sure about Chrome I'm looking at it now and I don't see it in any of the menus.
Also you may not see "Western European (Windows)" if you are not on a Windows PC, and you could try: "Western (ISO Latin 1)"
The "Windows" part of this is the culprit. Microsoft screwed up the text encoding world years ago with a proprietary approach and instead of conforming to international /industry standards, they did their own thing and the world had to conform (make allowances for) big bully Microsoft. They did the same thing with browsers (Internet Explorer - the bane of web developers) and programs like Microsoft Word put a bunch of proprietary Microsoft garbage (that the end user doesn't see) in all of the word processing it handles. Now that the browser world is more leveled out you don't see it as much but it used to be that pretty much every website had a bunch of custom code to accommodate / "fix" for the vast multitude of different versions of bugs that Windows plague Internet Explorer because it is such a piece of garbage but so many users used it by default that you had to do all this extra work because Microsoft was so belligerent.
And we are dealing with this issue here because we have very old code running the Swap that somewhere is dated and not handling this (Microsoft) issue. (end Microsoft rant Dec. 1, 2017)
Other messages in this thread:
- 29998. Help! I shared this recipe a while ago and can't find my copy at home, but look at what happened to [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 4:58pm on 11/29/17 (11)
- I replied to it with the fixed version but here it is - pmassell_93 - 5:04pm on 11/29/17
- Oh Paul, thank you SO much! My mom called frantically as she couldn't find the recipe - Heather_in_SF - 5:10pm on 11/29/17
- This sounds like it would be great for Easter. Sounds refreshing and light. Thanks for reposting [NT] - barb_b - 11:59pm on 11/30/17
- Here's a cookie REC where the ingred. amounts went wonky. Paul, can U help on this one, too? TIA! [LINK] - wigs - 8:55pm on 11/30/17
- fixed encoding version - pmassell_93 - 9:40pm on 11/30/17
- Here's a temporary fix anyone should be able to do.. - GeorgiaRose - 2:59pm on 12/01/17
- depends which browser you are using - pmassell_93 - 5:26pm on 12/01/17
- Paul, my DH is in the software biz and you two sing the same tune on Microsoft. :-) [NT] - LisainLA - 3:51am on 12/02/17
- Thx so much for your directions, GeorgiaRose. They worked for me! [NT] - wigs - 6:49pm on 12/01/17
- Thank you so very much! - wigs - 6:43pm on 12/01/17
- I guess we'll need to start making a list - pmassell_93 - 9:44pm on 11/30/17