Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Help w menu. Need a side w/o pepper(s) To go with spiral ham/scalloped white and sweet potatoes.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30032 at 4:05 am on Dec 18, 2017
My sister-in-law is making a spiral ham and scalloped sweet and white potatoes for Christmas. I’m supposed to bring something to go with and I’m not feeling very inspired. My mother-in-law is allergic to pepper of any kind, so no added pepper or peppers can be in the dish. Right now all I can think of is green beans and that just seems so boring for a holiday dinner.
I once had roasted brussels sprouts in some sort of yummy glaze, but never got the recipe and to this day wish I had.
Mixture of beets and turnips or something like that? root vegetables sounds good but I don’t really have a recipe and I’m not sure if it goes with spiral ham.
> Any ideas?
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 30032. Help w menu. Need a side w/o pepper(s) To go with spiral ham/scalloped white and sweet potatoes. - MariaDNoCA - 4:05am on 12/18/17 (19)
- How about a broccoli salad with cranberries? Colorful,tasty and make-ahead [NT] - Anna_X - 8:14am on 12/18/17
- Maria, Epicurious Recipe Charred Brussels Sprouts w/pancetta and fig jam check the reviews [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 2:30pm on 12/18/17
- This sounds yummy! Thanks! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:10am on 12/21/17
- Roasted Carrots with Smashed-Walnut Vinaigrette is really good - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:27pm on 12/18/17
- Wow, I don't like carrots, but this sounds good. Gotta try soon! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 11:11pm on 12/18/17
- How about with turnips? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:32am on 12/19/17
- Or Parsnips? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:02pm on 12/19/17
- Sounds delicious, but mil can’t do the pepper in the Dijon :-( [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:13am on 12/21/17
- just skip the pepper Maria. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:24pm on 12/22/17
- I would avoid more root vegetables because they are sweet and the ham - Heather_in_SF - 6:01pm on 12/18/17
- I often serve carrots with ham, Heather. Never too sweet. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:39pm on 12/18/17
- roasted cauliflower - pmassell_93 - 8:53am on 12/19/17
- Roasted cauliflower is like eating candy!! unbelievably delicious! LOL [NT] - Charley - 2:43pm on 12/19/17
- Roasted cauliflower is great with dried, French Tarragon too! Wonderful vegetable - KarenNoCA - 4:09pm on 12/19/17
- nice! - pmassell_93 - 5:21pm on 12/19/17
- I love that idea. Always feel guilty tossing those away, but never tried to do anything with them. - KarenNoCA - 5:39pm on 12/19/17
- honestly, the past few years - pmassell_93 - 5:45pm on 12/19/17
- I have always chopped the stalk to roast also. Same with broccoli. ;o) [NT] - Charley - 9:14pm on 12/19/17
- You’re making me hungry! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 3:10am on 12/21/17