Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Well, it's official. I don't like booze in my *previously perfect* fruit cake.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30042 at 5:27 pm on Dec 21, 2017
I tried this traditional dessert for the first time this summer, following Richard's recipe (I think it was the white one) and using only cherries, pineapples and a variety of nuts.
Happily, it's filled with stuff I like and none of the stuff I don't.
I made 6 mini pan-fulls and sampling it a few hours later, found that I LOVED fruitcake! Who knew? This certainly didn't taste like the brick-shaped stuff from the store. The neighbor loved it and blew through two cakes in two days. The library loved it.
Assuming it could only get better, I boozed up the remaining two mini-cakes and then made a second batch in July, covering those in cheesecloth and cognac as well.
Well, I just sampled the June batch. And sadly, it falls into the same culinary category as rum balls, liquor-filled candies and Irish Coffee: too boozy for my personal taste, both on my tongue and the smell.
So I'll be making my next batch booze-free and enjoy it tout de suite.
On the positive side, the booze compresses the cake so that it slices beautifully. And--should the need ever arise--I'm fairly certain I could strike a match to a slice and use it as a starter for my fireplace.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30042. Well, it's official. I don't like booze in my *previously perfect* fruit cake. - MarilynFL - 5:27pm on 12/21/17 (7)
- I used pineapple juice in a tropical fruit cake (more) - daricem - 12:50am on 12/22/17
- Excellent suggestion, Darice. So...fresh pineapple, canned heavy syrup or canned pineapple juice? [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:09am on 12/23/17
- Pineapple juice (more) - daricem - 8:29pm on 12/26/17
- Be sure to keep it refrigerated. The worst food poisoning I ever got was from - cheezz - 2:04am on 12/24/17
- Back many years ago when we lived in a "dry" area, Mom used to soak hers with Mogen David wine. - Melissa Dallas - 2:51pm on 12/22/17
- Another good idea. Thanks, M! I do love how nicely it slices. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:10am on 12/23/17
- Oh, but do factor in the sweetness!! Maybe it is the harshness of alcohol in - Charley - 5:59pm on 12/24/17