Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
My father-in-law, who is an excellent cook (and happens to be Filipino as well) adds...(m)
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #361 at 4:00 am on Jan 9, 2006
two or three tablespoons of store-bought barbeque sauce to his adobo. Any tomato-based, smokey barbeque sauce will do.
It should be little enough to act as a background flavor. In fact, my wife finally asked her Dad why his adobo tastes so much better than any of the other adobo made by relatives. This was his answer. It was not detectable, but added a dimension that was clearly distinct.
He doesn't use a 'recipe', but cooks from experience. I'm sure his dish is much like this one. Most cooks use similar recipes.
I love Filipino adobo. It's one of my favorite dishes from my wife's side of the family.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 361. REC: Filipino Chicken Adobo - uiguy - 7:14pm on 01/08/06 (18)
- I love this dish - so simple and tasty - and low-cal, perfect for the new year! [NT] - LisainLA - 7:25pm on 01/08/06
- as to lo-cal - please note this depends on chicken parts used... - uiguy - 7:30pm on 01/08/06
- You have a lot of fat even if you remove the skin from the thighs? - ValinFL - 7:57pm on 01/08/06
- i leave skin on during cooking and take off after. - uiguy - 8:34pm on 01/08/06
- My recipe is similar but has fish sauce in it. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 9:22pm on 01/08/06
- if your willing to post would love to try it with fish sauce [NT] - uiguy - 11:29pm on 01/08/06
- You could just add some fish sauce to your recipe. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 3:08am on 01/09/06
- I'd like to try this with the fish sauce also. Bought fish sauce - Elenor - 11:50pm on 01/08/06
- REC:Thai Glazed Chicken Lettuce Wraps - uiguy - 11:56pm on 01/08/06
- Hi Eleanor - did you see my recipe for Caesar Salad dressing with fish sauce? - Sandi in Hawaii - 1:18am on 01/09/06
- Thanks Sandi - looks great - I'm going to try it. My husband loves Caesar Salad. [NT] - Elenor - 5:07am on 01/09/06
- Adobo-Filipino Spiced Meat - Luisa_Calif - 2:42am on 01/09/06
- Yum, you could also sub chunks of pork ( I use pork butt) for Pork Adobo! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 1:48am on 01/09/06
- Sandi, my father-in-law often uses both chicken and pork in the same dish! It's that flexible. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 4:01am on 01/09/06
- My father-in-law, who is an excellent cook (and happens to be Filipino as well) adds...(m) - Michael in Phoenix - 4:00am on 01/09/06
- Michael, I'm defnitely going to try that in my next Pork Adobo!! Either bbq sauce or fish sauce...? - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:29am on 01/10/06
- Sandi, my fil is hard to pin down for recipes, because everything is done... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:58pm on 01/11/06
- Oh well, Michael - I thought so. It seems that's how they cook too - no measurements, no recipe... - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:41am on 01/12/06