Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I did this recently
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #30084 at 11:25 pm on Jan 9, 2018
I like to make a sausage meat sauce. I prefer the hot italian sausage which also gives the sauce a little kick. I make a lot of sausage and some of the sausage I will slice and fully cover a layer. You could do the same with mild which would be more common. But everyone in my house likes "hot" stuff.
When I'm really into making a sauce I will start it first thing in the morning and spend all day on it slowly breaking down the tomatoes, onions and peppers and add layers of seasoning throughout the day. I'll even roast the peppers and remove the outer skin which isn't nice in a sauce. One of these epic sauces often starts with leftover beef that inspires me but almost always includes pork sausage. And if I'm really inspired I'll add homemade meatballs.
My recent attempt I was pressed for time so it involved an immersion blender and supplementing my "homemade" sauce with some jar stuff. I also really like adding the red pepper tomatoe bisque / soup like you can get at Costco or Trader Joes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30084. What's your favorite homemade sauce to use in lasagna? [NT] - cheezz - 10:54pm on 01/09/18 (14)
- I did this recently - pmassell_93 - 11:25pm on 01/09/18
- By peppers, do you mean red bells? Do you use any tomato paste? Which spices? [NT] - cheezz - 5:58pm on 01/10/18
- I have a core for sauce and then build around that with what is available - pmassell_93 - 9:55pm on 01/10/18
- I'm a big fan of Charlie's Beschamel sauce/lasagne [LINK] - MoNJ - 11:59am on 01/10/18
- ((heart)).... Miss Charlie [NT] - barb_b - 12:59pm on 01/10/18
- I just printed off a ton of his recipes from that string... [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 6:17pm on 01/23/18
- Joe, Sandra and I enjoy this rec: Wild Mushroom and three Cheese lasagne [NT] [LINK] - barb_b - 1:00pm on 01/10/18
- No mushrooms please! I think I'm the only one here who doesn't like them :) [NT] - cheezz - 5:57pm on 01/10/18
- Today's Times proclaims Marcella Hazan's bolognese sauce - Charley - 3:01pm on 01/10/18
- I make a big batch of my spaghetti sauce and make lasagne with the leftovers. . . - mistral - 9:01pm on 01/10/18
- I am with you on all this. In my day of cooking all the time I froze "meat sauce" and - Charley - 10:53pm on 01/10/18
- Yrs, that one by Marcella Hazan looks pretty good, and I have never tried Bolognese.(nt) [NT] - mistral - 12:22am on 01/11/18