Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Thanks ladies...I made the chocolate filling last night and don't think it's going to work.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30124 at 2:21 pm on Feb 12, 2018
I used a bunch of 60% Callebaut that I had left over after tempering chocolate to coat caramels, during which I'd added extra cacao butter to thin the viscosity. Joanne Chang calls for 62-70% in the pie filling and I may have screwed that up with this usage. The chilled pudding mounds nicely on a spoon, but I think once the pie was cut, it would run.
Of course, there are worse things in this world than having a bowl of creamy chocolate pudding thickened with egg yolks to deal with. I wish I had a temperature range to check the finished product against rather than "whisps of steam rising off the pudding." I definitely had the whisps, but simply may not have cooked the filling long enough.
I do have a batch of cut-up apples that I may try the rugelach pastry shell idea. I'll let you know if it's a success or bust.
Rugelach pastry was from Yotam and had no sugar added to it. I wasn't quite happy with that idea, so I added 2 TBL (I checked Sarabeth's recipe (one of the few books not trapped in Box Hell simply because it was too big to fit in my boxes) and that's what she adds to her dough. This is still less than a sweet pastry dough calls for.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30124. Can I use cream cheese-based rugelach dough for baked pastry shell? - MarilynFL - 2:02pm on 02/11/18 (7)
- I would think so if it is like tassie dough. [NT] - Charley - 11:38pm on 02/11/18
- I would think you can... - deb-in-MI - 1:08pm on 02/12/18
- Thanks ladies...I made the chocolate filling last night and don't think it's going to work. - MarilynFL - 2:21pm on 02/12/18
- How about freezing it? [NT] - Charley - 1:08pm on 02/13/18
- Ah, you spoke too late. Me and a tiny spoon bemoaned the loss of a pie. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:37pm on 02/13/18
- You had a quick little spoon, m'dear!! LOL [NT] - Charley - 12:39am on 02/14/18
- Baked rugelach dough as pastry shell and it works...kindof. I found Trader Joe's - MarilynFL - 6:27pm on 02/15/18