Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Help from anyone who has made croissants from scratch. This is my White Whale.
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30141 at 4:39 pm on Feb 26, 2018
I have made almost every pastry there is, but avoided croissants due to the LONG time constraints. But now I'm retired, I have time, I have fresh yeast and, by golly, I'm going to give this a shot.
Of course, we all know what happened to Ahab.
I'm using "Sarabeth's Bakery: From my hands to yours" recipe and have two questions for you:
1. I bought Irish butter for the beurrage, but then realized that European butter has less water than American butter and I may be screwing things up by using that.
2. I now have a convection option in my oven. Should I use regular heat or convection heat for the baking portion.
This will be a three day project. She says the dough has to sit for 2 days before shaping/baking.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30141. Help from anyone who has made croissants from scratch. This is my White Whale. - MarilynFL - 4:39pm on 02/26/18 (20)
- way beyond my skillset but - pmassell_93 - 5:02pm on 02/26/18
- Probably in this age where anything goes, Paul - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:43pm on 02/26/18
- apparently a law in France straight or curved based upon 100% butter or not [NT] - pmassell_93 - 8:58pm on 02/26/18
- Have made croissants many times, Marilyn - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:39pm on 02/26/18
- Another vote for Julia's recipe. I've... - Richard in Cincy - 2:15pm on 02/28/18
- My 2 cents worth: . . . - mistral - 7:44pm on 02/26/18
- If it is an American recipe wouldn't you guess American butter was used to test it? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:47pm on 02/26/18
- Yep! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 6:15pm on 02/27/18
- Thanks all! Going to start this tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:45pm on 02/26/18
- Please do!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 9:47pm on 02/26/18
- I've always used local butter too but that European quality has such a superior flavour. As long as [LINK] - Marg CDN2 - 9:52pm on 02/26/18
- I've decided to use Trader Joe's unsalted butter for the beurrage and save the Irish for schmears. - MarilynFL - 4:14pm on 02/27/18
- I don't have enough milk! Damn. Didn't even think to check that ingredient. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:33am on 02/28/18
- Watch this video demo!!! Just did a couple of days ago and I think I had too much water in my butter [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 9:53pm on 02/26/18
- I believe Gesine specifically mentions not using kerrygold butter, But can’t recall why right now. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 10:01pm on 02/26/18
- She also addresses the straight versus curved croissants, there is a reason, Can’t recall though [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 10:09pm on 02/26/18
- I remember! Straight = made w/real butter. . . Never heard that before. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 6:17pm on 02/27/18
- And we EXPECT a full report. Even is all goes well I'm sure you'll have us in stitches with your - Tess - 2:55am on 02/27/18
- I've made them a few times from the KA recipe. My boss' boss from France was visiting and - Tess - 3:02am on 02/27/18
- I've always used Plugra and Paula Peck's recipe. The resting time - Heather_in_SF - 5:43pm on 02/27/18