Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Not my thang either...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30173 at 2:06 am on Mar 19, 2018
those of y'all not from around these parts probably don't realize the next big city you get to up-river on the Ohio River from Louisville and Churchill Downs is Cincinnati (The Southernmost Northern City). Mark Twain lived here for a while. Our sister city to the south is Lexington, home of Henry Clay, Jefferson Davis, Mary Todd Lincoln, the Hunt-Morgans, and the Breckenridges. That is how close we were to the Confederacy. 80 miles between Cincinnati and Lexington.
We eat all the Kentucky foods on Derby Day and sip our mint juleps. The first week of May the mint is jumping out of the garden for the juleps and we know how to freeze our sterling julep cups to get the proper frost.
I have been to so many Kentucky Derby Parties that I cannot keep track of them. Always Boring. But the ones in Lexington at the Bluebloods? That is when you've scored.
I played in the Lexington Philharmonic when I was an undergraduate at the Cincinnati Conservatory, I went to some major parties in Lexington!
The Bourbon flowed, the waiters had a tan and wore white gloves (I kid you not), the central hall tables were laden with delectable Kentucky specialties (have you ever tasted a true Kentucky Beaten Biscuit and Kentucky Ham with Bourbon Mustard???)
And I always managed to end up with the help in the kitchen for the after party.
Enjoy the time George! Kentucky is another world!!!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30173. NYC in May - Richard in Cincy - 12:10am on 03/19/18 (23)
- I am in; just am an early lunch person; need to head back for school pick up. [NT] - barb_b - 1:29am on 03/19/18
- Please reach out to my friends Mathew and George if you go to Phantom - barb_b - 1:33am on 03/19/18
- Barb, I apologize. I got your emails about Matthew and George and - Richard in Cincy - 1:36am on 03/19/18
- And the lovely Barb. I knew afternoon was best for you.... - Richard in Cincy - 1:34am on 03/19/18
- Yes! George is in! Funny, George is heading out that weekend for the kentucky Derby. - barb_b - 1:38am on 03/19/18
- Not my thang either... - Richard in Cincy - 2:06am on 03/19/18
- I'm there 4/30-5/3 Tickets for Helen Mirren on Mon nite, Hamilton on Wed nite, other - MarilynFL - 1:46pm on 03/19/18
- Fun! I need to be the early lunch person. I Need to head back to NJ for school pickup. [NT] - barb_b - 1:53am on 03/20/18
- Just checking - Richard in Cincy - 6:41pm on 03/20/18
- OK, let's get this organized. How does Thursday, May 3 for lunch at 11:30 work for everyone? - Richard in Cincy - 7:15pm on 03/20/18
- 5/3 works for me. Looking forward to it! Yes, I believe it was Szechwan Gourmet; we had a large - barb_b - 7:20pm on 03/20/18
- I'm in for anywhere. Turns out I fly OUT that day, but not until evening. [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:12pm on 03/20/18
- OK, let's do Szechwan Gourmet on 39th St. at Fifth Avenue, Thursday May 3 at 11:30... - Richard in Cincy - 10:28pm on 03/20/18
- Okay now I want to go to NYC that week!!! - Music City Missy - 5:48pm on 03/19/18
- YES! Please talk Jeff into it....... [NT] - barb_b - 1:57am on 03/20/18
- Gay, will you be in NJ / NYC in May? [NT] - barb_b - 12:10am on 03/22/18
- Unfortunately, and sadly no.... [NT] - GayR - 1:09pm on 03/22/18
- : ( Will miss you [NT] - barb_b - 2:06pm on 03/23/18
- Thank you, Barb..... [NT] - GayR - 5:45pm on 03/23/18
- Yes, anyone else who will be in the NY area then please join us! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:24pm on 03/23/18
- Count me in, please. :) [NT] - ErininNY - 12:51am on 04/02/18