Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
What are yours? NYTimes article with 5 *cheap-ish* things to improve your baking
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30194 at 5:18 pm on Mar 29, 2018
1. Heavy half-sheet baking pans
2. parchment paper
3. oven thermometer
4. kitchen scale
5. precision measuring spoons
Okay...I've got all of the above in spades. But what else is important to me?
1. Silpat for when parchment doesn't work, like dipping chocolates. They lift off MUCH easier on Silpat than on parchment
2. good quality silicon spoons/scrapers/etc. Not sure how I lived without them before. Thank you, Pat in NoCA for introducing me to this goodie.
3. Small measuring cup for liquids, scaled in TBL and milliliters.
4. 2 Qt All-Clad sauce pan and Cuisinart non-stick 3.5 Qt: both of these have saved my butt by either keeping things from burning or sticking (okay...those are NOT cheap)
5. Scoops for consistent size in cookies
6. Ruler for...anal retentiveness.
7. Stainless steel bench scraper.
8. While not cheap, it has certainly made my baking a better thing: high quality chocolate like Callebaut or Valrhona.
9. Small electric juicer for bulk juicing. I simply get MORE than if I try to juice manually.
10. Stick blender
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30194. What are yours? NYTimes article with 5 *cheap-ish* things to improve your baking [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:18pm on 03/29/18 (14)
- PS: NC has a digital link for daily access to NYTIMES. Check to see if your library has it. - MarilynFL - 5:21pm on 03/29/18
- What a gem of an idea. Thank you. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:47am on 03/30/18
- ohhh - where did you find #3 the small measuring cup for liquids? [NT] - Tess - 3:09am on 03/30/18
- Mine is an Oxo. VERY handy. Should be easy to find. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 6:17am on 03/30/18
- Yep. We have the same one. I found it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Amazon as well. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:37pm on 03/30/18
- Don't put it in the dishwasher. Aggressive action wears off the lettering. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:05pm on 03/31/18
- Please don't ask this lazy sloth how she knows this. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:05pm on 03/31/18
- --Don't ask this one either--been there, done that, and the same thing happened. . . (nt) [NT] - mistral - 9:20pm on 03/31/18
- This is why I don’t get to have the good metal candy thermometer anymore. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 12:11am on 04/02/18
- I got this set in my Christmas stocking. [LINK] - judy-mass - 1:25pm on 03/30/18
- They look so pretty! And Scientific! Love it! [NT] - barb_b - 3:53pm on 04/01/18
- All of yours, Marilyn, plus the Thermopen. Couldn't do without my scale and Thermopen [NT] - cheezz - 5:00pm on 04/02/18
- Hummmm....Not necessarily in order - MariaDNoCA - 4:18am on 04/03/18
- Silpats, Digital Thermometers, Silicone Spatulas, Digital Scale, Stainless Nesting Bowls [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:20am on 04/03/18