Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
How do YOU do it? I'm making Debbie_in_GA's Twelve-Hour Pork Roast
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30204 at 1:52 pm on Apr 3, 2018
because I needed room in my freezer and this 9.65 lb block of frozen pig was blocking my way. That's it. No other reason than that.
Since I don't cook meat that often, I've been buying it when on sale to have for neighbor dinners. I've got turkey, steaks, roasts, fish and who knows what else. I yanked the 9 pound pork shoulder out when I tried to store the halibut I'd bought at Whole Foods and there was NO ROOM at the inn. I mean, No. Room.
It was either gonna be pork roast or turkey. The pork belly was thin enough to be shoved aside and I wasn't in the mood for stuffing and gravy angst. Please note that I have PORK BELLY in my freezer. Me. The owner of at least 30 vegetarian cookbooks.
Anyway....the pork was thawed and in the refrigerator. I woke up this morning and was blissfully reading in bed when I realized: OH MY GOD! TWELVE HOURS! I've got to get that sucker in the oven!
And so, here we are: it's 9:46 AM and I've still got 11.5 hours to go. I will NOT be eating pork at 9:46 PM.
The one time I made this dish was 2003 and I started it at midnight to have friends over for early dinner. At 3:00 AM I went to check on it and found my mother-in-law collapsed, so we rushed her to the emergency room. Our friends came by and ended up finishing the meal for us and it was delicious! I don't even LIKE garlic and it was delicious. Just that fact alone meant I've always wanted to make this dish again. But when am I going to need 9 pounds of meat?
Anyway, took me 15 years and an overstuffed freezer to get there. So here is my question: How in the world do YOU make a meal that takes this long and isn't cooked in a crock pot? My oven has a timer delay but I'm always wary of using it with meats.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30204. How do YOU do it? I'm making Debbie_in_GA's Twelve-Hour Pork Roast [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:52pm on 04/03/18 (9)
- Ha! I love your description of your freezer. The one thing that I would add, based on my experience - barb_b - 2:37pm on 04/03/18
- If yours is 9# it really will need extra time but truth to tell it would be done in 10 hours, IMO - Charley - 3:27pm on 04/03/18
- Thank you both. I cooked it until 10:30 PM and then nibbled a little (ok, okay a lot) - MarilynFL - 1:31pm on 04/04/18
- Rigatoni with Shredded Pork in Mustard Cream Sauce [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:12pm on 04/04/18
- This has my name all over it! Thx for the repost, Pat [NT] - barb_b - 7:58pm on 04/04/18
- The Pork and Potato Hash with Poached Eggs and Avocado shared by Curious1 is [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:33pm on 04/04/18
- Rec: Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy) is also good [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:47pm on 04/04/18
- Love Posole. Very similar to my recipe that I use from - Richard in Cincy - 3:48am on 04/08/18
- Me 2. And you just reminded me of Mexican oregano. I need to put that on the Mexico order. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:38pm on 04/08/18