Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This was my wedding present to my godchild. I made 4 desserts for 300 people
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30207 at 3:03 pm on Apr 4, 2018
and had them plated so everyone got a taste of all four. I originally thought of offering a dessert table, but those can get so messy if they aren't patrolled carefully. So I came up with the plated dessert.
30 skinny Genoise chocolate iced cakes (10 slices each)
15 hazelnut cheesecakes (20 slices each)
5 half-sheet carrot cakes (60 squares each)
300 mini blank cream puffs (purchased from Qzina) filled with pastry cream
300 Ferraro candies, one each for the middle of plate
I flew into Pittsburgh on Saturday, Mom & I drove to Penn State University on Sunday for all the cream cheese, cream and butter, we went shopping on Monday for the rest of the ingredients and I started baking on Tuesday.
Tuesday = Cheesecakes
Wednesday = Carrot Cakes
Thursday = Genoise split into three layers, soaked with Grand Marnier syrup and dark chocolate buttercream icing
Friday = Ice the carrot cakes, ice the genoise cakes, start filling the cream puffs. Make the four small display cakes and mark the desserts for cutting. Deliver most to reception hall.
Saturday = spun sugar for croquembouche display tower.
Saturday = RAIN and collapse of said spun sugar
Saturday = wedding and reception
Or at least that's how I remember it. It was in 1999 and I was kind of crazy over this. I was working full time and in Florida, ordering ingredients online and having them shipped to Pittsburgh.
Mom has a full-size kitchen in her basement for making strudels, so she has a large restaurant-size convection oven and lots of half-sheets. I borrowed/bought 8 cheesecake pans, so that was just two batches. Kind of insane, but I wanted this for her.
Of course, she already had a beautiful wedding cake as well. I didn't do that...didn't want the panic of screwing that up.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30207. Marilyn, I made the chocolate cheesecake from The Artful Baker - OMG!!! - deb-in-MI - 11:06pm on 04/03/18 (15)
- I took it back to the library today after binging on 1/4 of a tart yesterday. But not before - MarilynFL - 11:26pm on 04/03/18
- Cheesecake was absolutely scrumptious!! - deb-in-MI - 12:02am on 04/04/18
- I had a killer chocolate cheesecake from Pittsburgh, but got bored making them for everything. - MarilynFL - 1:08am on 04/04/18
- OMGoodness - that White Chocolate one sounds divine! - deb-in-MI - 10:03am on 04/04/18
- Sister! I made 15 of these for my niece's wedding. Here are the tweaks I use: [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:25pm on 04/04/18
- You are a goddess!!! How long did it take you to make 15? [NT] - deb-in-MI - 2:10pm on 04/04/18
- This was my wedding present to my godchild. I made 4 desserts for 300 people - MarilynFL - 3:03pm on 04/04/18
- *Best GodParent Ever* - deb-in-MI - 4:19pm on 04/04/18
- Would you post your killer chocolate cheesecake recipe please? [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 9:05pm on 04/04/18
- GeorgiaRose, this may take some time. It's an old paper copy and that means it's buried - MarilynFL - 10:01pm on 04/04/18
- Ha! Found a hand-written version in my *held together with a rubberband* notebook [LINK] - MarilynFL - 10:09pm on 04/04/18
- Thanks so much Marilyn! It looks delicious! - GeorgiaRose - 1:45am on 04/05/18
- Here is the pic of the cheesecake [NT] [IMAGE] - deb-in-MI - 4:41pm on 04/04/18
- Click on "IMAGE" if you open up the post the pic is crazy big (I should have resized) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:42pm on 04/04/18
- Ohhhhhhh. Thank GOD I took that book back to the library! [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:57pm on 04/04/18