Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy) is also good
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30204 at 3:47 pm on Apr 4, 2018
Pat’s notes: Was good topped with fried shoestring strips of corn tortillas and sliced radishes, avocado and cabbage.
Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy)
3 cups cooked pork, cut into bite sized cubes (pork shoulder is traditional; or other leftover pork)
2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon fat
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chili peppers (or 2 fresh green chili’s seeded and diced)
2 (15 oz) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (or 1- 15 oz. can pinto beans) (optional)
1 quart pork stock or 1 quart chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (garnish)
lime wedge (garnish)
In a large pan saute onions in lard or bacon drippings until clear.
Add garlic and spices and cook another two minutes.
Add meat, green chili, rinsed hominy and beans.
The beans are not traditional but we like them.
Cook another two minutes.
Pour stock over all.
Add salt to taste.
Simmer, covered, about 1hour.
Pass cilantro and lime wedges for those who like a pinch of cilantro and a squeeze of lime over their soup.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30204. How do YOU do it? I'm making Debbie_in_GA's Twelve-Hour Pork Roast [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:52pm on 04/03/18 (9)
- Ha! I love your description of your freezer. The one thing that I would add, based on my experience - barb_b - 2:37pm on 04/03/18
- If yours is 9# it really will need extra time but truth to tell it would be done in 10 hours, IMO - Charley - 3:27pm on 04/03/18
- Thank you both. I cooked it until 10:30 PM and then nibbled a little (ok, okay a lot) - MarilynFL - 1:31pm on 04/04/18
- Rigatoni with Shredded Pork in Mustard Cream Sauce [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:12pm on 04/04/18
- This has my name all over it! Thx for the repost, Pat [NT] - barb_b - 7:58pm on 04/04/18
- The Pork and Potato Hash with Poached Eggs and Avocado shared by Curious1 is [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:33pm on 04/04/18
- Rec: Posole (Mexican soup with pork and hominy) is also good [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:47pm on 04/04/18
- Love Posole. Very similar to my recipe that I use from - Richard in Cincy - 3:48am on 04/08/18
- Me 2. And you just reminded me of Mexican oregano. I need to put that on the Mexico order. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:38pm on 04/08/18