Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Where has my banana bread *bump & crack* gone???
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30235 at 1:33 am on Apr 15, 2018
I ALWAYS had a high rise, a thick top crust and a long deep crack running down the middle.
Now? Nothing but flatness as far as these disappointed eyes can see.
And it's not just my old recipe (from the 70's, using Crisco. Don't judge). I also got a flat loaf from Steve in LA (bet he's laughing his butt off up in heaven). My friend's dependable cracky version failed. Genius Kitchen's, Serious Eats, and FLOUR's recipe. ALL FLAT.
I tested both my baking soda and my baking powder. Both are fresh and both react. I don't know what else to do.
I'm using organic bananas when possible, but went back to plain old Dole. Still no difference.
I thought it might be the altitude change from 7 feet in Florida to 3,000 feet in NC. But I never adjusted my recipe in ABQ at 5,000 feet and my old recipe worked fine then.
I just want my crack back. It was the best part of the whole loaf.
I'm thinking of putting a poster on a milk carton next.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30235. Where has my banana bread *bump & crack* gone??? - MarilynFL - 1:33am on 04/15/18 (8)
- Weird. Is it humidity? Oven temp? It seems it should be the baking powder/soda. I got nuttin. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:40am on 04/15/18
- I have been checking my oven temp. It's spot on, but takes 10 minutes PAST the little ding it gives - MarilynFL - 4:04pm on 04/15/18
- I’d try preheating your oven even longer… - MariaDNoCA - 8:04pm on 04/15/18
- I've always used my OLD bread pans, which are 9x5. I picked up some 8x4 (remember, I asked how to - MarilynFL - 9:16pm on 04/15/18
- Yes, I was wondering if you were using the new old pans — but scoop and swipe could make a differenc [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 9:44pm on 04/15/18
- Mix it too much? [NT] - Charley - 10:10am on 04/15/18
- Don't think it's that. I usually beat the sugar/fat, then add banana, then fold in flour mix. - MarilynFL - 4:05pm on 04/15/18
- This is what I was going to say. I am envious of your ability to consistenly get . . . - mistral - 5:19pm on 04/15/18