Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
well, THAT definitely worked. I ended up using 2 fresh poblano (roasted and peeled) and 3 whole
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30284 at 1:03 pm on May 16, 2018
canned (mild) Hatch chiles because there were NO Anaheims to be found. I even drove over to Asheville and checked out Whole Foods, Harris Teeter and Trader Joes, plus the Ingles, Bi-Lo and Walmart in my area.
I did end up adding some of Michael Chiarello's spice mix to the stew because it has a high proportion of ground California chile (which I read was close to an Anaheim) plus a lot of toasted fennel and it definitely added something to the dish.
Added 2 pounds of the cooked pork roast (Thank you Harris Teeter for removing that angst from my life) cut into 1" cubes so it wouldn't dry out. Added those at the end over heat for 15 minutes and then let it sit off-heat for 15 minutes so the meat could absorb the flavors.
Very, very good over rice.
Thank you Michael and Sandra for reminding me of this dish.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30284. Had an extra 8 pound pork shoulder that needed using up. Made an old favorite. - Michael in Phoenix - 10:53pm on 05/12/18 (16)
- Oh yum Michael. This looks wonderful. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:57pm on 05/13/18
- It's very good, Cathy. One of my top 10 favorite swap recipes. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:31pm on 05/16/18
- I love this recipe too. Definitely a keeper. Also, don't forget about Sandra's Machaca (link) [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 3:33pm on 05/21/18
- So, in a moment of hunger (as always when in a store) I picked up a 3 pound ROASTED - MarilynFL - 1:28am on 05/14/18
- No Anaheim's to be found...going with poblano. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:45pm on 05/14/18
- Another good way to do this in a pinch is to use 505 Hatch Green Chile in a jar. - Michael in Phoenix - 3:00pm on 05/15/18
- For the 505 brand, we only like the pure green chile, not their green chile salsa, etc. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:50pm on 05/15/18
- well, THAT definitely worked. I ended up using 2 fresh poblano (roasted and peeled) and 3 whole - MarilynFL - 1:03pm on 05/16/18
- Can I make this without cilantro? - Pam - 7:18pm on 05/16/18
- Hi Pam...well, since my cilantro was way in the back of my refrigerator and was almost [LINK] - MarilynFL - 12:06am on 05/17/18
- Michael, please weigh in on this since I didn't follow the recipe, just the concept. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:17am on 05/17/18
- No tortilla press? - Pam - 3:15pm on 05/17/18
- I've eaten at the Old Town Mexican Cafe several times. It is quite popular, and in since... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:00pm on 05/17/18
- Marilyn, that salsa you had is a variation on a simple salsa that is common on street tacos... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:02pm on 05/17/18
- A tsp? Tablespoon? [NT] - Pam - 6:16pm on 05/18/18