Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Need fool-proof [read: idiot-proof] recipe for a untried, virgin ingredient: rhubarb!
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30319 at 1:41 pm on Jun 2, 2018
I've managed to survive 6 decades and yet have never cooked/baked with rhubarb, having read it was extremely bitter. Then Angie (I miss her!) sent me rhubarb jam and it was WONDERFUL.
This morning I visited the Asheville Tailgate Farmer's Market and picked up rhubarb stalks and fresh NC strawberries. Also picked up some pastry strudels (to see the competition should I try to sell Mom's here) but they used a very good short pastry wrapped around tasty fillings....so more a pasty yet shaped like a strudel.
No comparison to home-made, hand-pulled strudel dough as these are two different animals completely. However, his were quite delicious...I bought two savory versions: a rift on a Cuban sandwich with pork and cheese and a SPICY beef version that would be perfect for appetizers. He was a professional caterer and went to culinary school.
I also tried a cheese scone from one stand and a croissant from another. Both were so-so and I ditched them rather than eat all those calories. Again, I'm surprised my own home versions are meeting and sometimes beating the professionals out there.
Oh, at the scone stall, which was packed on three sides with various pastries, the woman in front of me asked for a chocolate shortbread (shaped like a deck of cards). The counterperson took one and the woman said: "No. I want all of them" so the girl packaged all 5 pieces. A woman standing next to me laughed and said: "Hopefully, none of the rest of us wanted those" laughed again and I laughed with her.
Whoa. The shortbread purchaser turned around and gave BOTH of us the stink eye. I mean, really. We were all in line for happy Saturday morning pastries and I'm SURE the woman who said that meant it kindly and in a humorous way. But it wasn't taken that way. I smiled at her, but just got another stink eye look.
I really hope she enjoys those cookies.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30319. Need fool-proof [read: idiot-proof] recipe for a untried, virgin ingredient: rhubarb! - MarilynFL - 1:41pm on 06/02/18 (21)
- compote--rhubarb and sugar. cook. Spoon over ice cream. [NT] - Charley - 1:50pm on 06/02/18
- Here's a bunch.... [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 2:06pm on 06/02/18
- And this... [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 2:07pm on 06/02/18
- I should say that the recipes in these links that I posted are T&T delicious. [NT] - orchid - 5:16pm on 06/02/18
- T&T rec: Anne Dimock's Straight-Up Rhubarb Pie [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:19pm on 06/02/18
- Use this recipe but do half and half Rhubarb and Strawberries. Delicious. - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:21pm on 06/02/18
- Too warm...really? It grows well here in our valley, and we get up to triple digits. I know it is a - KarenNoCA - 2:07pm on 06/05/18
- I second this recipe - Pam - 7:39pm on 06/02/18
- I’m actually making this pie again today — so good! Neighbors even asked when I was making it again. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:56pm on 06/02/18
- Since you mentioned shortbread - have a look [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 5:54pm on 06/02/18
- Thank you ALL! I think I may have enough to try all of these. God, I hope I don't screw this up. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:53pm on 06/02/18
- Did you see the Rhubarb Custard Cake Marg/CDN2 shared last week? Looks realllly good to me. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 1:36pm on 06/03/18
- Very good but I suggest using vanilla rather than lemon zest. Too much competition for acid. So easy [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 3:15am on 06/05/18
- Good tips, thanks, Marg. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:27am on 06/05/18
- Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake..............luv this - Marg CDN2 - 3:16am on 06/05/18
- Rhubarb Ginger Cheesecake - Marg CDN2 - 3:17am on 06/05/18
- Rhubarb Sabayon or Zabaglione - Marg CDN2 - 3:20am on 06/05/18
- Yes, I await rhubarb each spring. It is just leaving our stores now. See...there it goes. - Marg CDN2 - 3:22am on 06/05/18
- LOL. Snappin' those rhubarb stalks and shufflin' my feet, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do" [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:18pm on 06/05/18
- Yes, I think I need more sleep and less oldies station. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 1:41pm on 06/05/18
- Nah, don't give up on the oldies...they're the BEST!!! - Pat-NoCal - 2:23pm on 06/05/18