Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I'm here! Yes, Nestle's makes both a 5-oz size & a 12-oz can size of its Carnation Evaporated
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #30320 at 1:54 pm on Jun 4, 2018
milk product. (See link below.)
The original recipe for the Choco-Caramel Brownies from my BAR COOKIE BONANZA booklet called for a 5-oz can of evaporated milk--you added 1/3 cup of the 5-oz can to the caramels when you melted them, and the remainder of the 5-oz can went into the dry cake & butter mixture before beating it.
My mother would REPEATEDLY grab a large-sized 12-oz can of evaporated milk and then insist my recipe was WRONG because she put 1/3 cup of the LARGE can in with the caramels and the remainder of her 12-oz can(!!!!)into the cake mix & butter combination prior to mixing so I rewrote the recipe and gave it to her with NO reference to can size and that she should simply add 1/3 cup evaporated milk to the butter & dry cake mix and another 1/3 cup evaporated milk to the caramels when she melted them over water in a double boiler.
Problem solved. (I recognize that is not a 100% accurate measurement since 1/3 cup = 2.666666 oz., but it was close enough so that Elaine Wiggins' Turtle Brownies would come out okay and I was no longer accused of giving her an inaccurate recipe! ha!)
Other messages in this thread:
- 30320. American vs. Canadian measurement advice please. - emtd - 6:39pm on 06/02/18 (8)
- Hi missy...Nestle's Carnation Evaporated Milk is 12 oz (1.5 C) in standard size. - MarilynFL - 6:49pm on 06/02/18
- WIGS....are you out there? We need clarification, please. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:50pm on 06/02/18
- I'm here! Yes, Nestle's makes both a 5-oz size & a 12-oz can size of its Carnation Evaporated [LINK] - wigs - 1:54pm on 06/04/18
- Yikes - and this other site uses pretty much the large tin. [NT] [LINK] - emtd - 6:54pm on 06/02/18
- and this site cooks them much much longer. [NT] - emtd - 6:55pm on 06/02/18
- 3 words - Dyslexic Chocolate Sauce - colleenmomof2 - 12:10pm on 06/06/18
- Betty--Sorry! Just use 1/3 cup evaporated milk in each of the 2 parts of the recipe, i.e., - wigs - 2:22pm on 06/04/18
- Thank you - I ended up using it all and they turned out pretty good. - emtd - 3:27am on 06/05/18