Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Lisa - LA||
:-) thought it genius because an Asian pear is a very similar texture, but more
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30341 at 2:54 pm on Jun 12, 2018
flavorful (relatively speaking), than jicama.
A fresh, ripe Asian pear has a very similar texture to a Granny Smith apple, with a very mild flavor.
I think it would be a great match with the mango - a bit more flavor and less fibrous than the jicama.
...if you can find a good Asian pear...they are a Fall fruit like other pears and apples.
I am not a big fan of jicama.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30341. Called every store within 30 miles, no one carries jicama! - CynUpstateNY - 3:23pm on 06/11/18 (17)
- Water chestnuts are often a good substitute for jicama but Asian pear might be - Pat-NoCal - 3:50pm on 06/11/18
- PS: Trader Joes often carries jicama (already cut into sticks) in their refrigerated section. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:56pm on 06/11/18
- HaHa, not worth driving 120 miles round trip for jicama! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 4:12pm on 06/11/18
- Ha, yep...that's rather far. ;-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:55pm on 06/11/18
- I think Asian Pear would be a lovely sub [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:30pm on 06/11/18
- Great suggestion, Deb! - colleenmomof2 - 1:43pm on 06/16/18
- I vote for asian pear too.(nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:44pm on 06/11/18
- Thanks! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 4:48pm on 06/11/18
- I was going to suggest just a radish. Here is what came up on google - Charley - 1:04am on 06/12/18
- I think Asian pear is a genius idea - I'll bet it might even be better than jicama. [NT] - LisainLA - 4:00am on 06/12/18
- Okay...so someone has to describe what an Asian pear SHOULD taste like. I bought one YEARS ago - MarilynFL - 1:20pm on 06/12/18
- :-) thought it genius because an Asian pear is a very similar texture, but more - LisainLA - 2:54pm on 06/12/18
- Very familiar with Asian Pears here but it is the wrong time of the year - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:47pm on 06/12/18
- I'd use small sweet turnip [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 11:32pm on 06/12/18
- I used the Asian pear and added more lime juice to the dressing to cut the sweetness. Delicious! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 5:53pm on 06/13/18