Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I just bought a *NC* ingredient that slightly terrifies me: Superior Vanilla, Butter & Nut Flavor
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30348 at 12:06 am on Jun 16, 2018
Let's set the scene: I'm in my 9:00 AM water aerobics class, doggy-paddling in a pool of 100% menopausal, overweight women (myself included), the majority of whom have permed and bullet-shaped hairdo's (myself not included) and several in FULL MAKE-UP. I'm talking foundation, blush, eye shadow and lipstick. For an 45-minute deep-water AEROBIC class. A class held...you know...in WATER.
On my first day I made the mistake of splashing a permed and hairdo'd someone and have been ostracized to the Gulag deep end of the pool ever since. While treading water, I overheard one of the *church ladies* mention a fabulous cake and even though I'm persona non grata due to the splash incident, I barged into their conversation and politely begged for the secret.
Turns out it's "The Original" Superior flavoring now sitting on my counter. The list of ingredients is daunting from a naturalistic viewpoint, in that the ONLY thing natural in it is water. Then we have Propylene Glycol, Artificial Flavors (oh wait...it also included natural flavor), Xanthan Gum, FD & C Yellow #5, FD&C Red #40 and Sodium Benzoate. Produced in Charlotte, NC.
It is a Happy Reddish Yellowish Orangish 237 milligram'd bottle of chemicals. And I'm gonna make the cake listed on it for the Open Table free lunch next week.
A recipe which, not surprisingly, uses even more chemicals. Yeah!
1/2 C vegetable shortening
2 sticks margarine
3 C sugar
3 C flour
1 C milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBL This Flavor (that is what the recipe says!)
Grease & flour pan.
Cream fats with sugar.
Add eggs one at a time
Add flavoring to milk and alternate adding to batter with flour.
Bake at 325 for 1.5 hour
Makes 10" tube pan
PS: It doesn't mention it, but I suspect the finished cake will also glow in the dark.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30348. I just bought a *NC* ingredient that slightly terrifies me: Superior Vanilla, Butter & Nut Flavor - MarilynFL - 12:06am on 06/16/18 (10)
- Be careful of spontaneous combustion! - MariaDNoCA - 1:43am on 06/16/18
- Please let us know how fast this goes - colleenmomof2 - 1:14pm on 06/16/18
- sorry, that won't be possible. Free lunch is provided 5 days a week & a different church - MarilynFL - 1:28pm on 06/16/18
- Ooops - thought this was one of your famous pot-lucks [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 1:53pm on 06/16/18
- Those are over and done with since I retired from Lockheed. Now I bake to give away. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:03pm on 06/16/18
- Okay if the cake glows in the dark, as long as you don't! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 3:47pm on 06/16/18
- Okay, this was a surprise. The recipe on the bottle is a basic pound cake...and it's not half bad! - MarilynFL - 4:28pm on 06/18/18
- Did you use margerine or butter? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:33pm on 06/18/18
- 2 sticks of Imperial Margarine ($1 a box!) and 1/2 C Crisco. This cake is so solid it - MarilynFL - 4:44pm on 06/18/18
- Oh...oh...Madeira cake! That's what this reminds me of! Years ago when I first started playing - MarilynFL - 4:52pm on 06/18/18