Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
sorry, that won't be possible. Free lunch is provided 5 days a week & a different church
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30348 at 1:28 pm on Jun 16, 2018
group buys and prepares the food to be given away to walk-ins. They already have the desserts plated (99.9% of the time it's pie or cake slices from Ingles or Walmart) for their planned lunch meal. I just show up and drop off 2 dozen of whatever to be given to patrons when they leave...something they can hold in their hand easily: cupcakes, banana bread, cake slices put in cupcake holders, etc. Rice pudding, bread pudding and flan weren't such good ideas. The kitchen crew has to dole that out and it had to be eaten there, so I don't do that anymore.
Basically, I just pop in the back door, say hi, move my stuff off of my half-sheet and leave. No one even knows my name because it's different volunteers every day (there are a LOT of churches in this area). The head kitchen manager calls me The Banana Bread Lady because one of the first times I showed up, they had rotten bananas outside to be tossed and I ran back inside and BEGGED for them. Showed up the next day with walnut banana bread.
I plan, however, to taste a piece when cutting it into servings and will let you know. My taste buds are already curling up in fear.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30348. I just bought a *NC* ingredient that slightly terrifies me: Superior Vanilla, Butter & Nut Flavor - MarilynFL - 12:06am on 06/16/18 (10)
- Be careful of spontaneous combustion! - MariaDNoCA - 1:43am on 06/16/18
- Please let us know how fast this goes - colleenmomof2 - 1:14pm on 06/16/18
- sorry, that won't be possible. Free lunch is provided 5 days a week & a different church - MarilynFL - 1:28pm on 06/16/18
- Ooops - thought this was one of your famous pot-lucks [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 1:53pm on 06/16/18
- Those are over and done with since I retired from Lockheed. Now I bake to give away. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:03pm on 06/16/18
- Okay if the cake glows in the dark, as long as you don't! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 3:47pm on 06/16/18
- Okay, this was a surprise. The recipe on the bottle is a basic pound cake...and it's not half bad! - MarilynFL - 4:28pm on 06/18/18
- Did you use margerine or butter? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:33pm on 06/18/18
- 2 sticks of Imperial Margarine ($1 a box!) and 1/2 C Crisco. This cake is so solid it - MarilynFL - 4:44pm on 06/18/18
- Oh...oh...Madeira cake! That's what this reminds me of! Years ago when I first started playing - MarilynFL - 4:52pm on 06/18/18