Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Do you even remember apricots? They hit the dust about 30 years ago (okay maybe even 50) and
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #30399 at 4:46 pm on Jul 13, 2018
taste like cardboard now.
Here's a really easy and quick peach tart that is quite lovable. I make it on the spur of the moment and do the second bake as we are eating dinner.
½ c. butter
1 ½ c. flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar
12 peach halves
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. heavy or sour cream
2 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
Cut together first 5 ingredients and press into large pie pan. (Dough is very powdery.)
Arrange 12 peach halves on surface of dough. Pan may not be large enough to accommodate all peaches. Sprinkle fruit with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake 15 minutes at 400. Do not leave fruit sitting on pastry for long as the pastry becomes soggy.
Beat egg yolks lightly. Add cream. Pour over fruit and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
It seems like a huge quantity but people always ask for seconds, even women.
Best fresh. Do not refrigerate unless necessary.
Good with half ricotta, strawberries, rhubarb and cinnamon.
This makes a lot of dough so I save part of it. The dough is powdery but less sinful with so little butter in it.
Do not bake the fruit in the dough and let it sit. It gets soggy.
The way I now do it:
I bake the pastry separately then mix the sour cream and 3/4 c. sugar together. I place the peaches on the pastry and pour the cream mix on for the second bake, sprinkling cinnamon on top. I actually prefer it this way. The pastry is better and the peaches cook sufficiently in the second stage.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30399. Just bought excellent Georgia peaches so thought I would mention "The Peach Truck" in case you [LINK] - wigs - 2:01pm on 07/12/18 (22)
- That’s really nice, wish I was close. You are so right about store-bought. Noticed today the date - Curious1 - 3:42am on 07/13/18
- The good thing about being able to buy peaches from a stand here in the Carolinas - Charley - 11:34am on 07/13/18
- Sob! I haven’t had a good peach in years. :-( Enjoy! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:01am on 07/13/18
- Do you even remember apricots? They hit the dust about 30 years ago (okay maybe even 50) and - Marg CDN2 - 4:46pm on 07/13/18
- Just for clarification, could you fix the ingredient list? I'm assuming the butter, flour, 3/4 cup [LINK] - Curious1 - 6:34pm on 07/13/18
- Oh geez. I'm sorry. This is from a recipe card from 1975. Yes! It was in columns and I - Marg CDN2 - 7:02am on 07/14/18
- Sounds lovely! Thank you! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:15pm on 07/14/18
- I remember apricots: the Blenheim Royals (Royal apricots) that were smaller. . . - mistral - 6:42pm on 07/13/18
- We had excellent (tiny) apricots in CZ this summer, and I've found that the big U.S. ones - ErininNY - 12:08am on 07/22/18
- With new-found hope, I bought 2. Could not find Blenheim. Still disappointing sawdust. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:53am on 07/23/18
- I can still get good apricots, there is a museum orchard here - MariaDNoCA - 6:56pm on 07/13/18
- Growing up, we had an apricot tree in our backyard, along with sour cherry trees. - LisainLA - 9:23pm on 07/14/18
- Someone online told me if I couldn’t find good peaches I should just use frozen ones - MariaDNoCA - 7:09am on 07/14/18
- I think I get depressed at the end of peach season. I miss my tree in the east but they are quite - Marg CDN2 - 7:15am on 07/14/18
- DD was astonished when someone at the store asked why she was smelling the fruit. - Lana in FL - 2:48pm on 07/14/18
- My DD hopefully smells the melons year round, even though she knows they - LisainLA - 9:27pm on 07/14/18
- I have oft thought that store should put up directions on how to choose fruit, BUT . . . - mistral - 6:49pm on 07/15/18
- We have a good peach growing area about 2 hours from here, but I have not had - LisainLA - 9:25pm on 07/14/18
- Got ours in MI on Saturday! Yahoo, wigs! - colleenmomof2 - 3:52pm on 08/01/18
- colleenmomof2, so glad you were able to track down a Peach Truck! I also love MI Red Haven peaches, - wigs - 5:36pm on 08/14/18