Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I remember apricots: the Blenheim Royals (Royal apricots) that were smaller. . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #30399 at 6:42 pm on Jul 13, 2018
When you picked them off of the tree, they tasted like sweet sunshine and apricots. I liked them best with a just a tny little bit of green on them; it was easy to pick them this way, because this is how they liked to ripen.
Now we have those giant apricots that are so pretty but taste like pure insipid, generic fruit no matter whether they look ripe or not.
I was going to buy frozen apricots from a place up in Washington state BUT when I called and asked what variety they were it was not good. I cannot remember the name but when I looked up the varietal's description and read over the flavor profile. . . The flavor boiled down to a polite version of "it has little flavor".
Our trees died, none of the neighbors grow *any * fruit anymore, all of the neighborhood apricot trees died and were not replaced, and I cannot find good 'cots at the local farmers' markets.
A very sad state of affairs!
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30399. Just bought excellent Georgia peaches so thought I would mention "The Peach Truck" in case you [LINK] - wigs - 2:01pm on 07/12/18 (22)
- That’s really nice, wish I was close. You are so right about store-bought. Noticed today the date - Curious1 - 3:42am on 07/13/18
- The good thing about being able to buy peaches from a stand here in the Carolinas - Charley - 11:34am on 07/13/18
- Sob! I haven’t had a good peach in years. :-( Enjoy! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:01am on 07/13/18
- Do you even remember apricots? They hit the dust about 30 years ago (okay maybe even 50) and - Marg CDN2 - 4:46pm on 07/13/18
- Just for clarification, could you fix the ingredient list? I'm assuming the butter, flour, 3/4 cup [LINK] - Curious1 - 6:34pm on 07/13/18
- Oh geez. I'm sorry. This is from a recipe card from 1975. Yes! It was in columns and I - Marg CDN2 - 7:02am on 07/14/18
- Sounds lovely! Thank you! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:15pm on 07/14/18
- I remember apricots: the Blenheim Royals (Royal apricots) that were smaller. . . - mistral - 6:42pm on 07/13/18
- We had excellent (tiny) apricots in CZ this summer, and I've found that the big U.S. ones - ErininNY - 12:08am on 07/22/18
- With new-found hope, I bought 2. Could not find Blenheim. Still disappointing sawdust. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 5:53am on 07/23/18
- I can still get good apricots, there is a museum orchard here - MariaDNoCA - 6:56pm on 07/13/18
- Growing up, we had an apricot tree in our backyard, along with sour cherry trees. - LisainLA - 9:23pm on 07/14/18
- Someone online told me if I couldn’t find good peaches I should just use frozen ones - MariaDNoCA - 7:09am on 07/14/18
- I think I get depressed at the end of peach season. I miss my tree in the east but they are quite - Marg CDN2 - 7:15am on 07/14/18
- DD was astonished when someone at the store asked why she was smelling the fruit. - Lana in FL - 2:48pm on 07/14/18
- My DD hopefully smells the melons year round, even though she knows they - LisainLA - 9:27pm on 07/14/18
- I have oft thought that store should put up directions on how to choose fruit, BUT . . . - mistral - 6:49pm on 07/15/18
- We have a good peach growing area about 2 hours from here, but I have not had - LisainLA - 9:25pm on 07/14/18
- Got ours in MI on Saturday! Yahoo, wigs! - colleenmomof2 - 3:52pm on 08/01/18
- colleenmomof2, so glad you were able to track down a Peach Truck! I also love MI Red Haven peaches, - wigs - 5:36pm on 08/14/18