Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Will someone please look at this dough and tell me WHY for the love of fat molecules it dries out
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30413 at 10:34 pm on Jul 26, 2018
the second day when I use it for cinnamon rolls??? It's absolutely perfect the first day.
It has whole milk (contains FAT)
sour cream (FAT)
eggs (contains FAT)
additional yolks (FAT).
WHY is this baked pastry drying out? I should qualify that it's not bad the second day. I'm just expect something with this quantity of fat to stay....not moist, not damp...but whatever is the opposite of dry in baked goods.
I love this dough and it is perfect for nut rolls and so easy since I use the dough cycle on my bread machine. But for some reason, cinnamon rolls (which have even more fat in the way of butter spread on the dough to hold the cinnamon/sugar/nut sprinkling) are only perfect the first day. I actually have to zap them in the microwave for 15 seconds at Day 2 on to get back that original softness.
Boy, stuff like this bugs me.
Is there such a thing as too much fat? Have I gone so far around the circle that I'm reversing the effect?
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30413. Will someone please look at this dough and tell me WHY for the love of fat molecules it dries out [LINK] - MarilynFL - 10:34pm on 07/26/18 (13)
- It dries out wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge? - MariaDNoCA - 2:47am on 07/27/18
- I don't put baked goods in the refrigerator, but to your point, it would only be one layer of Saran. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:50am on 07/27/18
- You are saying that the dough itself is not as moist as the day before? To me that isn't "fat" - Charley - 10:44am on 07/27/18
- C, it's the baked product that is perfect on Day 1 and drier on Day 2. I just don't get it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:50am on 07/27/18
- Well, I think almost any baked product is a bit like that. - Charley - 7:16pm on 07/27/18
- Cinnamon rolls are notorious for this... - desertculinary - 11:35pm on 07/27/18
- desertculinary....Thank you for this and found information on this Asian Method here [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 1:59am on 07/28/18
- I've just won Willie Wonka's Golden Ticket! THANK YOU, desertculinary. GayR, thank - MarilynFL - 1:44pm on 07/28/18
- Wow...I just looked at the math and my recipe is only 47% hydration...and it should be 75%. - MarilynFL - 12:27am on 07/29/18
- Marilyn, Hope you have great success when you try the recipe....look forward to your results. - GayR - 2:53am on 07/29/18
- I use Tangzhong in my milk bread recipe. [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:27pm on 07/28/18
- Tangzhong! Very cool! - colleenmomof2 - 3:57pm on 08/01/18