Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: 4 dollar spaghetti sauce that tastes almost as good as 24 dollar sauce
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #30419 at 2:19 am on Aug 2, 2018
The following is very basic and very good and make it just the way written below:
4 Dollar Spaghetti Sauce That Tastes Almost As Good As 24 Dollar Sauce
4 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3/4 cup peeled garlic cloves (4 ounces, from about 4 heads; use your scale here)
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Two 28-ounce cans peeled Italian tomatoes with their juices
Freshly ground pepper
1 pound spaghetti
1/4 cup torn basil leaves
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
In a saucepan, bring the mushrooms and 3 cups of water to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the broth is reduced to 1 cup, 1 hour. Strain and discard the mushrooms.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the garlic and olive oil to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the garlic is very tender and golden, about 30 minutes.
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, bring the tomatoes and the garlic and oil to a boil. Add the mushroom broth and, using an immersion blender, puree the sauce until smooth. Bring the sauce back to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat until thickened, about 1 hour. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain the spaghetti and return to the pot. Add 2 cups of the sauce and cook, tossing, for 1 minute. Transfer the spaghetti to bowls, top with the basil and serve with grated cheese.
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30419. Does anyone remember a spaghetti sauce that used mushroom broth? - Anna_X - 7:34pm on 07/30/18 (13)
- Not exactly what you asked for... REC: Penne with Mushroom Pesto - judy-mass - 8:36pm on 07/30/18
- This sounds so good! [NT] - Anna_X - 1:18am on 07/31/18
- Could it be the $4 spaghetti sauce recipe you are thinking of? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 8:50pm on 07/30/18
- REC: 4 dollar spaghetti sauce that tastes almost as good as 24 dollar sauce - mistral - 2:19am on 08/02/18
- Rec: Spaghetti with Mushroom & Tomato Sauce. I found this in my Living Cookbook collection, looks - Curious1 - 9:35pm on 07/30/18
- This must be the recipe that Pat referenced. I knew that sounded familiar, lol. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 9:51pm on 07/30/18
- Thank you, C1, that's the recipe I was referring to. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 10:23pm on 07/30/18
- Yes, when Curious posted it, I wondered why not just cook mushrooms in the sauce,,, - Anna_X - 10:52pm on 07/30/18
- Sometimes it just takes a village, LOL. Have fun with your mushroom broth. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 10:55pm on 07/30/18
- I am intrigued by the recipe because it builds so much on each layer--and is - Charley - 2:43pm on 07/31/18
- It is good; I have made it. Easy to make, but gotta follow the steps. (nt) [NT] - mistral - 1:23am on 08/03/18
- Curious, I'm going to start calling you Baby GayR due to your search capabilities. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:45pm on 07/31/18
- Making zucchini spaghetti with our leftover frozen spaghetti sauce - colleenmomof2 - 4:33pm on 08/01/18