Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
A little help please. Picked up a peck plus of Georgia peaches (O'Henry and Jersey)
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30426 at 2:42 pm on Aug 5, 2018
The O'Henry's are baseball-size and there is 32 of those.
The Jersey's are softball size and there are 5 of those.
I need to go shopping for sugar and pectin for jam and pie filling....does anyone know how much fruit (cup-wise) I'll get out of this? I am horrible about running out mid-whatever (not enough jars, not enough sugar, not enough lemon, not enough pectin, not enough patience, etc).
Or is weight a better way to go with this? I recall the recipes inside the pectin box give smashed fruit quantities...and I'm always short on that. I don't want to start peeling and cutting this stuff up until all the equipment and ingredients are available.
If by weight, is that before or after peeled and pitted?
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30426. A little help please. Picked up a peck plus of Georgia peaches (O'Henry and Jersey) - MarilynFL - 2:42pm on 08/05/18 (26)
- I did read a good hint: put prepared pie filling in an empty pie pan, freeze it, then put - MarilynFL - 2:44pm on 08/05/18
- I used to freeze peach pie filling like that with an old recipe from - Curious1 - 4:35pm on 08/05/18
- Marilyn, You may find this useful.......... [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:07pm on 08/05/18
- The perfect solution; saving this link! Thank you both (my kitchen smells so peachy right now) [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:47pm on 08/06/18
- My pleasure, Marilyn [NT] - GayR - 7:43pm on 08/06/18
- I did this one year, a long time ago, with some wonderful nectarines and promptly forgot. . . - mistral - 8:22pm on 08/11/18
- Freeze ripe peaches whole with skin on - colleenmomof2 - 2:14pm on 08/06/18
- I hate jam. I hate jelly. I hate Certo. I hate Sure Jel. I am in a foul, sticky, jammy - MarilynFL - 1:25pm on 08/08/18
- Sorry Mar. :-( [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:59pm on 08/08/18
- Pat, did you see my email? [NT] - Janet in NC - 2:29pm on 08/08/18
- I did, I did. Replying now. :-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:51pm on 08/08/18
- Could you make it into freezer jam? [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 2:02pm on 08/08/18
- I'll let this post answer for me. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:58pm on 08/08/18
- Recook it . [NT] - Charley - 1:17pm on 08/09/18
- I did recook. No better. Then I added more pection/lemon/sugar, recooked. No help. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:23pm on 08/09/18
- I can tell you a no fail delicious peach jam - Charley - 1:15pm on 08/09/18
- Mine was 4.5 Cups of puree with 7.5 cups of sugar plus pectin plus lemon juice. - MarilynFL - 4:24pm on 08/09/18
- I sort of read this as using liquid pectin. I think powdered is more certain. - Charley - 6:32pm on 08/09/18
- Two different batches. One used liquid, the other used powder. Both failed. Twice! i give up. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:52pm on 08/09/18
- What size pan did you use? For easiest, fastest jelling a very BROAD pan with . . . - mistral - 8:11pm on 08/11/18
- I dub thy 12 jars of un-jam, un-jelly stuff Ice Cream Topping AKA . . . - mistral - 5:57pm on 08/09/18
- Oh, dear :( So very sorry to hear - colleenmomof2 - 7:23pm on 08/09/18
- Well, I did end up with jars of *Peachy Bourbon Syrup* (Wild Turkey mates w/ GA Peach) - MarilynFL - 3:01pm on 08/08/18
- Bourbon and peaches are a match made in heaven... - Richard in Cincy - 2:02am on 08/11/18
- Ooh, OOOH, use your Peachy Bourbon Syrup to make limeade!!! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 8:05pm on 08/11/18