Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Acadia is our favorite vacation spot. We go almost every year. Here
Joined: Mar 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #30490 at 3:02 pm on Sep 11, 2018
are some recommendations:
Jordan Pond House for tea and popovers on the lawn. Actually,, when we were there this summer the lawn was all dug up, so we went to the Asticou Inn in Northeast Harbor and had tea and popovers on the back deck. Both places have a beautiful view.
McKay's Public House - Eat outside in the garden even in cool weather. They have heaters around the tables.
Thurston's Lobster Pound (in Bernard) - You order the lobster at the front, find a table and they bring it to you. Nice view over the water and the deck has pull-down clear sheets in case of bad weather.
2 Cats for great breakfast. We go here almost every morning.
Mache Bistro - make reservations
Galyns is also good.
Chart Room (Hulls Cove) - They have a lobster special until 6:00 p.m. every day. Nice view.
Bar Harbor Inn has a wonderful place right on the water. Don't like their food that much, but it's a wonderful place to have a glass of wine before going for lobster elsewhere.
Of course, you'll do the park loop road and stop and several place along the way. We love Thunder Hole, Otter Point, Little Hunters Beach; and don't miss Cadillac mountain.
Thuya Gardens in Northeast Harbor is beautiful. Also, the town of Somesville has a lovely little bridge that we always visit. A real photographic opportunity.
Ellsworth which you will pass on your way has a great kitchen store called Rooster Brother.. A must-stop place for us.
If you like bargains, stop at Renys in Ellsworth on your way to Mt. Desert Island. There is also a small place called Made in Maine that you will pass where you can get fantastic jam - love the blueberry but all are good.
I'm sure I've got lots more but don't want to bore you. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30490. Hi all - I have been more or less absent for a while but have tried to follow as much as possible. - elaine - 4:43am on 09/11/18 (11)
- So good to hear from you! - deb-in-MI - 10:45am on 09/11/18
- Thanks Deb. Happy and healthy New Year to you and all your family. Good to be back [NT] - elaine - 1:33pm on 09/11/18
- We visited Acadia in early Nov. and it was very dark at 4pm ;) - colleenmomof2 - 1:39pm on 09/11/18
- Acadia is our favorite vacation spot. We go almost every year. Here - rhoward2va - 3:02pm on 09/11/18
- So since you asked, let me ask where you stay in or near Acadia or on the way up - if you do.TIA [NT] - elaine - 8:26pm on 09/11/18
- We usually fly from DC to Portland and rent a car there, so - rhoward2va - 2:04pm on 09/12/18
- Thanks - this is great info. [NT] - elaine - 5:40am on 09/13/18
- Please reach out when you are in NY! Great to hear from you. Hope the kids schedules - barb_b - 5:17pm on 09/11/18
- Barb, I emailed you [NT] - elaine - 8:06pm on 09/11/18
- Thanks to all of you. What fabulous recs. Can't wait! Will report back when I get home in October [NT] - elaine - 8:08pm on 09/11/18
- Have fun, elaine. Acadia is a gorgeous park. I took Mom to Castine & Deer Isle for a week [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:27pm on 09/11/18