Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
We usually fly from DC to Portland and rent a car there, so
Joined: Mar 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #30490 at 2:04 pm on Sep 12, 2018
we don't have any hotel recommendations. If you do go into Portland, we love Fore Street Restaurant there, and Duckfat Restaurant is great for lunch. Their fries are wonderful and they have fried donut holes - delicious!
When our kids and grandkids come, we rent a house through Knowles Realty. When it's just the two of us, we have stayed at the Quimby house in Bar Harbor, but they don't have an elevator. This year we stayed at the Bar Harbor Grand Hotel, and it was very nice. Although we don't spend too much time during the day in the town - very touristy, we do like to stay at a hotel in town because most of the restaurants are here. Parking can sometimes be a problem, and the Bar Harbor Grand is within easy walking distance to most of the hotels. Last year we took my sister along and stayed at the Bayview Inn which had a very nice townhouse which would be good for a family group. The Bayview has a fantastic breakfast buffet and an excellent pastry chef (fresh homemade cookies in the lobby every afternoon - and not those frozen and baked ones). It's a little farther out, but they have a free shuttle bus into town and back.
I forgot to mention Mount Desert Ice Cream. It's delicious! They have two places in town - one very near the Bar Harbor Grand and one on the village green.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30490. Hi all - I have been more or less absent for a while but have tried to follow as much as possible. - elaine - 4:43am on 09/11/18 (11)
- So good to hear from you! - deb-in-MI - 10:45am on 09/11/18
- Thanks Deb. Happy and healthy New Year to you and all your family. Good to be back [NT] - elaine - 1:33pm on 09/11/18
- We visited Acadia in early Nov. and it was very dark at 4pm ;) - colleenmomof2 - 1:39pm on 09/11/18
- Acadia is our favorite vacation spot. We go almost every year. Here - rhoward2va - 3:02pm on 09/11/18
- So since you asked, let me ask where you stay in or near Acadia or on the way up - if you do.TIA [NT] - elaine - 8:26pm on 09/11/18
- We usually fly from DC to Portland and rent a car there, so - rhoward2va - 2:04pm on 09/12/18
- Thanks - this is great info. [NT] - elaine - 5:40am on 09/13/18
- Please reach out when you are in NY! Great to hear from you. Hope the kids schedules - barb_b - 5:17pm on 09/11/18
- Barb, I emailed you [NT] - elaine - 8:06pm on 09/11/18
- Thanks to all of you. What fabulous recs. Can't wait! Will report back when I get home in October [NT] - elaine - 8:08pm on 09/11/18
- Have fun, elaine. Acadia is a gorgeous park. I took Mom to Castine & Deer Isle for a week [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:27pm on 09/11/18