Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
he recommends gashing over poking unless you are injecting
Joined: Dec 31, 1969
Posted to Thread #30494 at 3:20 pm on Sep 13, 2018
he also says to use "oil and vinegar salad dressing" as a shortcut marinade so I don't think his oil prohibition is a hard no.
"Myth: Stabbing with a fork helps marinades penetrate. Stabbing meat with a fork or a jaccard blade pushes bacteria down in. And the holes seal up as the meat collapses in on the trauma and fills with water."
"Help marinades by gashing the food. Since marinades don't penetrate very far into most foods, give them a hand. Gash your food. Cut slices into the surface, rough it up, give the marinade cuts, cracks, and pits to enter. There is also more surface area to brown and more surface area coated with baked on marinade."
Other messages in this thread:
- 30494. Quick question: Why add olive oil to the Cuban Roast marinade if using a pork shoulder - Anna_X - 6:16pm on 09/12/18 (24)
- I'm not a scientist but it was explained to me this way - pmassell_93 - 7:32pm on 09/12/18
- thank you , Paul, about oil carrying flavors. I looked at several recipes.... [LINK] - Anna_X - 10:40pm on 09/12/18
- looks yum. This guy says don't use oil or alcohol [LINK] - pmassell_93 - 10:59pm on 09/12/18
- Paul, you find the most interesting articles! Going to go pokes holes in the meat right now. [NT] - Anna_X - 3:58am on 09/13/18
- he recommends gashing over poking unless you are injecting - pmassell_93 - 3:20pm on 09/13/18
- That's a good article and particularly about marinades tenderizing. They "may" if they - Charley - 11:33am on 09/13/18
- It does have oil--probably for the garlic and herbs to be "carried". ;o) [NT] - Charley - 11:40am on 09/13/18
- Yes, but only 2 Tbs compared to 1 1/2 cups in Orchid's post. BIG difference! [NT] - Anna_X - 3:56pm on 09/13/18
- I didn't have the recipe so didn't know but I wouldn't use that amount of oil anyway!! [NT] - Charley - 8:37pm on 09/13/18
- I cut the amount way down. As I noted in this post I cut it to 3/4 cup. [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 9:07pm on 09/13/18
- Are you going to make it? - Pam - 8:18pm on 09/13/18
- Doing an overnight braise in my dutch oven right now. Probably just white rice and black beans... - Anna_X - 8:25am on 09/14/18
- I really recommend these Cuban black beans that I got from [LINK] - orchid - 2:20pm on 09/14/18
- Thank you, Orchid, this looks really good. The family isn't coming for a few weeks yet... - Anna_X - 3:25pm on 09/14/18
- Ooh boy, I don't know. I have never frozen them before but I freeze pinto - orchid - 3:43pm on 09/14/18
- Ever add any oregano or jalapeno, or is that inauthentic? IDK Cuban food. [NT] - Anna_X - 3:50pm on 09/14/18
- I guess you could but it doesn't need it. I have really searched around [LINK] - orchid - 5:25pm on 09/14/18
- LOL, being in San Diego, I'm used to a certain style of Mexican cooking! [NT] - Anna_X - 5:45pm on 09/14/18
- Is there anyone here that can check the site and see if it is safe? [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 5:57pm on 09/14/18
- Here is the link to the Three Guys recipe for Lechon Asado (Roasted Pork) [LINK] - LisainLA - 3:46am on 09/16/18
- Oh, do these sound tasty! [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:18pm on 09/29/18
- When I went to bed at 1:30 a.m., the pork seemed to be cooking too fast to leave all night so... - Anna_X - 3:32pm on 09/14/18