Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
This Spatzle from my good German friend's Grandmother
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #30503 at 3:55 pm on Sep 19, 2018
3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 C milk
2 T chopped chives
4 T butter
1 small onion, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp each pepper and paprika
Mix flour, chives, salt and nutmeg. Beat in eggs. Add milk and mix until heavy dough is formed.
Into boiling water, drop bits of dough either forced through a colander or cut with a knife. Boil 6-8 minutes. Drain.
In large frypan, heat butter. Add onion and garlic and brown over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add spätzle and cook another 5-10 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30503. Spaetzle? Better recipe than Sur Le Table, please! - Anna_X - 3:57pm on 09/18/18 (8)
- REC: Spatzle - judy-mass - 8:14pm on 09/18/18
- This Spatzle from my good German friend's Grandmother - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:55pm on 09/19/18
- See? You both recommend more than a dab of nutmeg. Mustard, onion, chives!!! - Anna_X - 8:00pm on 09/19/18
- Basic spatzle is basically a noodle. Brown butter on noodles never floated my boat. . . - mistral - 4:42pm on 09/20/18
- I drop my Spätzle into simmering broth, just like Grandma taught me... - Richard in Cincy - 6:23pm on 09/21/18