Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: The Balsams Sugar Cookie
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posted to Thread #30510 at 9:21 pm on Sep 23, 2018
I've made these only once, (Penny's several times) but I saved because there good.
The Balsams Sugar Cookie (The Balsams Grand Resort Hotel)
Yield: about 5 dozen (3-inch) cookies
This recipe is from Chef Stephen James, certified master baker and executive pastry chef at The Balsams in Dixville Notch.
2 1/4 c granulated sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 c Crisco
1/2 c butter
3 Tbsp corn syrup
3/4 c heavy cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
7 c cake flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
milk and sugar (for dusting)
Cream the first five ingredients until smooth. Add eggs in two stages, scraping bowl often. Add cream and vanilla and mix slightly. Sift the cake flour and baking powder and add. Do not overmix. Just as soon as the mixture comes together, shut mixer off. Dough is ready.
Chill dough overnight. Roll cookie dough down to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut out shapes using cookie cutters. Brush top of cookies lightly with milk and sprinkle tops with sugar. If you choose to decorate with icing, then leave the sugar off at this point. Bake at 385 degrees for about 10 minutes. Do not overbake — cookies should be baked light.
December 2005 issue of New Hampshire Magazine
Other messages in this thread:
- 30510. Is there a better sugar cookie than Penny's? It's been my go-to since forever, but - MarilynFL - 8:12pm on 09/23/18 (13)
- Rec: The Balsams Sugar Cookie [LINK] - Ann - 9:21pm on 09/23/18
- We are very partial to this humble Sugar Cookie from the prairies... - Richard in Cincy - 11:21pm on 09/23/18
- Let's Sugar Cookie (Beard Family Cook Recipe) [LINK] - GayR - 11:41pm on 09/23/18
- Thank you all. I'm thinking of making little batches of each and sending a test set out to her. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:49pm on 09/24/18
- This is what I do - deb-in-MI - 10:59pm on 09/24/18
- Excellent suggestions - colleenmomof2 - 10:21am on 09/25/18
- Corn starch! - colleenmomof2 - 10:14am on 09/25/18
- Added recipe to above (and shout-out DM sent to Marilyn) - colleenmomof2 - 3:30pm on 10/05/18
- Thanks to Gayle Cameron I add a little Fiori Di Sicilia to plain cookie and cake recipes! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:56am on 09/25/18
- Fiore Di Scilial is so strong--do you use an eyedropper? I do! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:31am on 09/27/18
- Oh, you guys are going to make Sandy SOOO happy. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:47pm on 09/25/18
- I sub 1/4 c brown sugar sometimes. Bumps the flavor a bit [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:49pm on 09/29/18
- Bummer. Four batches of test cookies are already done. Mailing them tomorrow. - MarilynFL - 10:23pm on 09/30/18