Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
We are very partial to this humble Sugar Cookie from the prairies...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30510 at 11:21 pm on Sep 23, 2018
Totally get it. Afterall, chocolate is one of major food groups. But vanilla has been suprising me lately. Pure vanilla fresh churned ice cream? Transcendental. We keep a bottle of vanilla beans in the fridge covered in Bourbon.
This cookie. It's not pretty, it's not a cutout, it's just really amazingly delicious and so easy to make.
Sugar Cookies from the Cook's Cafe in Brookings, South Dakota (The Gourmet Cookbook--Have I mentioned how much I love this book?) This is a typical northern midwest sugar cookie that has been around since forever.
makes 5 dozen
Start to finish: 1 hour
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup sunflower oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
4 cups flour
375F oven. Rack in middle of oven.
Whisk sugars, oil, eggs, vanilla, salt, soda, and cream of tartar until combined. Add flour and stir until a dough forms. Dough will be dry and crumbly.
Form tablespoons fo dough into balls and arrange 2 inches aprt on ungreased baking sheets. Flaten the balls with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar (edges of cookies will crack). Sprinkle with sugar (I use the big sugar crystals, but colored sugars are fun as well).
Bake until set but still pale for chewy cookies, about 8 minutes per batch, or until pale golden for crip cookies, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to racks to cool. Watch them disappear. These are seriously tasty.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30510. Is there a better sugar cookie than Penny's? It's been my go-to since forever, but - MarilynFL - 8:12pm on 09/23/18 (13)
- Rec: The Balsams Sugar Cookie [LINK] - Ann - 9:21pm on 09/23/18
- We are very partial to this humble Sugar Cookie from the prairies... - Richard in Cincy - 11:21pm on 09/23/18
- Let's Sugar Cookie (Beard Family Cook Recipe) [LINK] - GayR - 11:41pm on 09/23/18
- Thank you all. I'm thinking of making little batches of each and sending a test set out to her. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:49pm on 09/24/18
- This is what I do - deb-in-MI - 10:59pm on 09/24/18
- Excellent suggestions - colleenmomof2 - 10:21am on 09/25/18
- Corn starch! - colleenmomof2 - 10:14am on 09/25/18
- Added recipe to above (and shout-out DM sent to Marilyn) - colleenmomof2 - 3:30pm on 10/05/18
- Thanks to Gayle Cameron I add a little Fiori Di Sicilia to plain cookie and cake recipes! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:56am on 09/25/18
- Fiore Di Scilial is so strong--do you use an eyedropper? I do! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:31am on 09/27/18
- Oh, you guys are going to make Sandy SOOO happy. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:47pm on 09/25/18
- I sub 1/4 c brown sugar sometimes. Bumps the flavor a bit [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:49pm on 09/29/18
- Bummer. Four batches of test cookies are already done. Mailing them tomorrow. - MarilynFL - 10:23pm on 09/30/18