Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Great great great great Grandmother Maria's Green Tomato Relish
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30512 at 1:25 am on Sep 24, 2018
The Germans love their pickles. What can I say? When I was a child I absolutely hated this. Then later, when my taste buds matured, I couldn't get enough of it. Grandma went to the beauty shop on Wednesdays after work to get her hair done. The evening before, she cooked a pot of beans and we had beans and ham, fried potatoes, corncakes fried in lard, and this relish. I heaped spoonfuls of it on by beans. Now that the fall has descended we will have many green tomatoes and this is what you do with them (if you don't fry them breaded with cornmeal).
10 quarts of green tomatoes
1 large head of cabbage
8 large onions
1 quart of white vinegar
1/2 cup of salt
2 lbs. of sugar
8 mangoes--red, green, and hot peppers to your taste
Grind the veg. We had one of those cast iron crank jobs that I spent many hours cranking.
Put it all in the big pot and bring it to a boil. Seal in jars.
When I lived with Grandma, we would make 6 times this recipe so that she could can it. I would go with Grandma to the garden, pick the vegetables, and then the crank grinder that was fastened onto the picnic table and I would spend hours grinding all of this. As the years went by, Grandmother would add more and more hot peppers into the mix. Her last batch in 1985 was deadly.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30512. Great great great great Grandmother Maria's Green Tomato Relish - Richard in Cincy - 1:25am on 09/24/18 (6)
- As long as we are into antique relish recipes I will offer Bell and Effie's Potsfield Pickle - Janet in NC - 9:19pm on 09/24/18
- Thank you, that looks good! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 4:29am on 09/27/18
- I still have one of those grinders... - judy-mass - 1:31pm on 09/25/18
- Me too! I've got Grandma's old cast iron grinder down in the dungeon somewhere. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 3:06pm on 09/25/18
- I know the old timers lived to a ripe old age using these things but I suspected mine, and others, - Janet in NC - 12:43am on 09/26/18
- Aw, I remember my parents grinding vegetables, seemingly forever, to can for the winter. Later when - Marg CDN2 - 7:34pm on 09/28/18