Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here you go, wigs
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30507 at 5:33 pm on Sep 25, 2018
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches, sear short ribs on all sides until deeply and evenly browned, 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer browned short ribs to a large plate and continue with remaining ribs.
2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of remaining fat, leaving the good browned bits behind. Reduce heat to medium, and add garlic, cut side down and cook, undisturbed, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion, celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and continue to cook until vegetables are softened but not yet browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato paste has started to caramelize a bit on the bottom and up the edges of the pot, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add red wine and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned or caramelized bits. Let this simmer 2 to 3 minutes, just to take the edge off and reduce a bit. Stir in beef stock along with thyme. Using tongs, return short ribs to the pot, along with any juices that have accumulated, nestling them in there so that they are submerged (if they are just barely covered, nestle them bone side up so that all the meat is submerged, adding more beef stock or water as necessary to cover). Bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven.
4. Cook, undisturbed, until short ribs are meltingly tender and falling off the bone (you should be able to shred the meat with a fork), 3½ to 4 hours.
5. Using tongs, remove the ribs from the pot, taking care (for presentation purposes, really) not to let the bone slip out and transfer them to a large plate. (While you could serve the short ribs right out of this pot, the vegetables have all given up their flavor and texture and aren’t worth much now, so feel free to strain the sauce for easier eating.) Scatter parsley, chives and lemon zest over the top of the short ribs. Separate the fat from the sauce, season with salt and pepper and serve alongside.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30507. Down home end of summer dinner tonight... - Richard in Cincy - 10:24pm on 09/21/18 (29)
- Can you post those two fruit cake recipes, please? (nt) [NT] - mistral - 10:28pm on 09/21/18
- Scotch Cherry Whisky Cake [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 1:03am on 09/22/18
- Anyone still able to mine recipes at old Gail's? The Italian Black Fruitcake is posted there if - Richard in Cincy - 1:07am on 09/22/18
- Paul, I think we need an emergency search button named GayR...like the bat - MarilynFL - 12:20pm on 09/22/18
- I believe GeorgiaRose found it last December. Yoohoo, GeorgiaRose?? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 2:30pm on 09/22/18
- I'm not GeorgiaRose but try this URL - JudyW - 3:07pm on 09/22/18
- Judy, the URL does not work.....too many numbers I believe and there has to be a - GayR - 3:51pm on 09/22/18
- I have this link, that gets you all of the pages, but you need [LINK] - judy-mass - 4:41pm on 09/22/18
- Yes, I have the link also.....but without a specific number it is impossible to find the recipe. I - GayR - 4:54pm on 09/22/18
- On Recipelink.com I found a recipe for Italian Black Fruitcake, but Richard will have to confirm if [LINK] - GayR - 4:56pm on 09/22/18
- Gay, that recipe came from the Gail's Recipe Swap - judy-mass - 7:01pm on 09/22/18
- Yes, Richard explained that someone lifted it..... [NT] - GayR - 8:45pm on 09/22/18
- Yes, that is the recipe I posted, word for word with my notes. Someone lifted it. - Richard in Cincy - 8:02pm on 09/22/18
- Yup, sadly no more searchability there. (picture my big booboo face here) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:43pm on 09/22/18
- Thank you all for your help! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 7:39pm on 09/22/18
- Do you measure or wing it for the kale? Not a kale fan but sounds like something I - CynUpstateNY - 1:35am on 09/22/18
- Cyn, I wing nearly everything! Southern Greens 101... - Richard in Cincy - 8:08pm on 09/22/18
- Thanks, Richard! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 10:27pm on 09/23/18
- Link to the garlic spareribs recipe. About the best, if not the best [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 8:03pm on 09/22/18
- I was able to grab the ingredient list for the spare ribs, but cannot latch onto the directions. Can - wigs - 5:01pm on 09/25/18
- Here you go, wigs - Pat-NoCal - 5:33pm on 09/25/18
- Thank you so very much to Pat-NoCal! And I was wondering the same thing about which type meat to buy [NT] - wigs - 5:30pm on 09/26/18
- Richard do use spareribs, as in pork? Or the beef short ribs called for in the recipe? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 5:36pm on 09/25/18
- And a shout out to those British Roasted Christmas Lunch Potatoes... - Richard in Cincy - 8:22pm on 09/22/18
- Oh my goodness. Gotta try this. I have duck fat in the fridge [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:40am on 09/23/18
- Good grief, the woman is on an island attacked by lava flows, hurricanes and potential tsunamis if - MarilynFL - 1:11pm on 09/23/18
- When you bring it home, remove the bondage, rinse it, and wrap it in damp paper towls. - Richard in Cincy - 1:41pm on 09/23/18
- I roasted my first duck a while back using Richard's instructions and kept the duck fat. - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:41pm on 09/23/18
- I'm totally in love with those British spuds. I had been planning to make them forever; finally did [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 11:25pm on 09/23/18