Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
1976. Finally decided to stop spending our vacations revisiting the parents and take a trip.
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #30515 at 8:10 pm on Sep 28, 2018
I had been to Europe several times by that point and maintained a VERY strong attraction to it, particularly France and Switzerland. I was so hoping that my new husband would understand that attraction and ultimately get hooked as well.
We had a set of special invitations to various wine houses and distilleries for private visits. We started in Hennessey, Cognac, cognac which my husband did love. Before our visit, we arranged a picnic for ourselves, lounging under a big tree across the river, where we had nothing but ham, tomatoes, baguette, cheeses and of course wine as we faced the beautiful house of Hennessey.
It was the start to our biennial returns to Europe and eventually a decision to buy in the So of France (an idea which was put on permanent hold with the events of Sept 11/01) And to the creation of lots of fabulous memories. We had bought 2 sturdy wine glasses there as well as a picnic basket. In the years that followed we would pull out those wine glasses, back at home, and reminisce
It was just a simple little picnic but it was the start to a wonderful trip with smiles all the way.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30515. Your Ultimate Food Experience - Richard in Cincy - 3:33pm on 09/25/18 (17)
- I have so many but one always comes back to me. As you all know - orchid - 4:35pm on 09/25/18
- Here's mine: 1983, Larry and I spent 5 weeks in Europe on a VERY limited budget. Our Bible was [IMAGE] - MarilynFL - 10:24pm on 09/25/18
- That is such a beautiful area... - Richard in Cincy - 8:40pm on 09/26/18
- I'd have to work backwards.... - MarilynFL - 1:14am on 09/27/18
- Close. I was in Austria during those dates. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:38am on 09/27/18
- Wow [NT] - AngAk1 - 9:10pm on 09/29/18
- PS: I should add that the reason we were panicking about the cost of the meal - MarilynFL - 10:36pm on 09/29/18
- Thank goodness the summer of 1983 was the summer of the ever rising dollar... - Richard in Cincy - 10:58pm on 09/30/18
- A couple of things I remember: - mistral - 12:15am on 09/26/18
- Off the top of my head... - Melissa Dallas - 9:49pm on 09/26/18
- Wow, you reminded me of when I was a kid. . . - mistral - 4:23am on 09/27/18
- Mine is not about a fancy or ethnic meal but a family happening with a red bell pepper soup I made - KarenNoCA - 2:38pm on 09/27/18
- 1976. Finally decided to stop spending our vacations revisiting the parents and take a trip. - Marg CDN2 - 8:10pm on 09/28/18
- Restaurant meal was at The Red Lion Inn outside Boulder CO. They serve whipped cream in a gravy boat - AngAk1 - 9:05pm on 09/29/18
- So many to choose from but here are a few [LINK] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:30pm on 09/30/18
- They cut the crusts off! No way! Wow. Best pizza ever, Post Corner in Clearwater Beach FL - AngAk1 - 3:01am on 10/01/18
- Blue crabs - colleenmomof2 - 3:50pm on 10/05/18