Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
How do I ensure wooden twigs are safe to use in food? [real question]
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30522 at 12:50 pm on Oct 3, 2018
I know I'm...odd...at times, but this is an actual question. Our local electric coop puts out a magazine and last month's recipe was 1" cubes of sweet potatoes wrapped in bacon, then broiled...with a real twig as the serving method. A tray of them looked very "fall-ish" and as I'm a big fan of Garnet yams AND bacon, I'd like to serve them that way.
I've been weeding my hillside and am definitely sensitive to something here. Blisters on face and arms, but no itching (so not poison ivy).
This brings us to my question: How do I know which twigs are safe to insert in food? And what about itty bitty bugs? Should I put the twigs in the oven first to sterilize them? (because I can see the news headline already: "City Hick Burns Down House By Starting Wood Fire in Electric Oven.")
God, I was not meant to live in the woods.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30522. How do I ensure wooden twigs are safe to use in food? [real question] - MarilynFL - 12:50pm on 10/03/18 (12)
- Was there a discussion of that here but for candied apples? Saw it some where. Do you have birch - Curious1 - 2:25pm on 10/03/18
- What kind of twigs? I have not seen any recipes with tree twigs, only have seen Rosemary twigs. - KarenNoCA - 2:28pm on 10/03/18
- No names were given for the twigs. They looked perfect for the dish. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:39pm on 10/03/18
- I don't even want to tell you what happened when I tried the low oven thing. I'd wash in a vinegar - CynUpstateNY - 6:39pm on 10/03/18
- M, & have me smiling, first thing(!), again 2day! I never would have given that a thought, but then - wigs - 2:32pm on 10/03/18
- The ampersand should be a U. [NT] - wigs - 2:38pm on 10/03/18
- While I was searching for online photo, I ran across this: Adorable cheddar ball appetizers [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:40pm on 10/03/18
- I'm sure you took a twig or two and did marshmallows over a fire!! LOL I realize - Charley - 6:11pm on 10/03/18
- Very true. Camp Loleta, in fact. But that's sticking the wood into fire which would sterilize it. - MarilynFL - 5:32pm on 10/04/18
- Safety Seal [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 7:17pm on 10/03/18
- Thanks, Deb. I think I'll go this route since it will be for 14 people. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:37am on 10/05/18
- :) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:11am on 10/05/18