Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Not bread or roll - Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #30524 at 3:40 pm on Oct 5, 2018
Cyn, When you make cranberry sauce from your stash of frozen berries at Thanksgiving, please consider making extra sauce for Meryl's outstanding cake! I use nonfat yogurt and have cut butter to 1/4 cup with additional 2 TBS of yogurt.
This is moist and delicious with just the right balance of tartness and sweetness. Great for using up leftover cranberry sauce.
CRANBERRY SWIRL COFFEECAKE
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of fresh cranberry sauce (recommended) - to make the sauce, follow the directions on any package of fresh cranberries), OR one 8-ounce can of whole cranberry sauce (I use fresh)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (*Decrease the temperature by 25 degrees if using dark pan.). Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs just until well blended.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer running, (lower the mixer speed), add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream or yogurt to the butter mixture until just blended. Do not overmix! Stir in the almond extract and mix only until just combined. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Swirl 1/2 of the cranberry sauce into the batter. Repeat, ending with the batter on top.
4. Bake about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes. Cut around edge of the cake to loosen, then turn out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 1 - 9 or 10 inch tube pan (12 servings).
Adapted from Allrecipes
Link: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake
Other messages in this thread:
- 30524. Went to a cranberry farm on Cape Cod a few days ago and bought some beautiful fresh cranberries. - CynUpstateNY - 6:00pm on 10/03/18 (15)
- Cyn, Fresh Cranberry Braided Bread from Better Homes & Gardens [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 7:41pm on 10/03/18
- King Arthur Flour Fresh Cranberry Orange Rolls [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 7:47pm on 10/03/18
- [NT] - GayR - 7:51pm on 10/03/18
- Fresh Cranberry Yeast Rolls.....from MyRecipes.com [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 8:37pm on 10/03/18
- Do these ever look GOOD! And w/ that icing--YUM. [NT] - wigs - 8:52pm on 10/03/18
- This reads DELICIOUS plus it's so pretty to look at! [NT] - wigs - 8:42pm on 10/03/18
- Gay, You are AMAZING!! Thank you! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:57pm on 10/03/18
- Enjoy whichever recipe you try......you are very welcome! [NT] - GayR - 10:01pm on 10/03/18
- Not bread or roll - Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:40pm on 10/05/18
- This is excellent - Cranberry Blueberry Pie from Sarah Chase [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 2:07am on 10/07/18
- And another - Nantucket Cranberry Pie from Laurie Colwin (really a cake, and super simple) [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 2:13am on 10/07/18
- I miss Laurie Colwin. She always made me laugh. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:41pm on 10/07/18
- Me, too. I loved her article along with a creamed spinach recipe - I have to see if I can find it. [NT] - LisainLA - 1:06am on 10/10/18
- My absolute favorite was her article on horrible dinners. Stargazey Pie! [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:43pm on 10/10/18
- I googled this and got "lost" in a maze of vintage recipes. So much I still don't know about food! [NT] - LisainLA - 2:20pm on 10/12/18