Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Alors...I have been pondering Christmas in Paris for a couple of days now. I have been there for NY
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #30541 at 4:57 am on Oct 13, 2018
but not Christmas. How lucky they are.
What I was doing was trying to picture myself there at that time and what I would hope for in terms of atmosphere. The food is so reliable that it is always at least, good. I decided that I would want to join the celebrations at a convivial and upbeat restaurant, offering the best of Paris in that season. Think...le Grand Colbert in Somethings Gotta Give.
It seems that given a couple of years, the new decent restaurants jump up to one star. I can think of several that were outstanding when they were being discovered but it took no time before one could not get in the door. You just can’t keep these good Paris restaurants down.
Richard has a good thought in that one might not expect the best of service, and indeed the best of food from whoever is cooking that night, on a family-should-be-at-home night. So I thought, back to the hotels that offer terrific food because they have to be consistent. Le Meurice, and so on, would blow the budget. There is a very convivial atmosphere and definitely brasserie air at the Café de la Paix at Opera and Capucines in le Grand Hotel. It is known as one of the best people-watching corners of the world. The restaurant is warm and inviting inside, bustling and authentic. The food is exceptional. If one could get a table by the window (par la fenetre), there would be the additional people-watching on a beautiful evening.
That’s what I would do.
If you need some suggestions for little foodie things that the travellers might bring back for you, I’m happy to lend a hand.
I would stay away from Bofinger or le Petit Bofinger. The menu is uncreative, predictable and not exciting. And any experiences that I have had there, were disappointing.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30541. Any suggestions for Christmas dinner in Paris? - judy-mass - 2:06am on 10/11/18 (8)
- Mais oui!! What are the expectations? The budget? Are you looking for a Noel kind of dinner or - Marg CDN2 - 6:05am on 10/11/18
- I asked and the answer was... - judy-mass - 12:49pm on 10/11/18
- Maybe this will help also. I saw Bofinger mentioned which would be good. - Charley - 4:18pm on 10/11/18
- Here is a comprehensive article [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 4:38pm on 10/11/18
- I bow to Marg's knowledge and experience, but I have a suggestion... [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 7:14pm on 10/11/18
- Thank you for all of the suggestions. I passed them along. [NT] - judy-mass - 9:37pm on 10/12/18
- Alors...I have been pondering Christmas in Paris for a couple of days now. I have been there for NY - Marg CDN2 - 4:57am on 10/13/18
- Marg, thank you so much! - judy-mass - 1:35pm on 10/14/18