Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
REC: Chicken Shawarma. We love middle-eastern/Mediterranean food, and this recipe is delicious!
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30552 at 6:19 pm on Oct 17, 2018
Our favorite dive is in Los Angeles, near Fullerton. It's called "Pita Hot" and it serves heaps of Chicken Shawarma along with all the sides that typically go with it (hummus, tabbouleh, babaganoush, and toasted pita).
This recipe came from The NYT. The only changes I made, besides simplifying the instructions, is to add an extra pound of chicken and more onions.
Family says it is just as good as Pita Hot!
Chicken Shawarma (Oven Roasted)
Adapted fr. NYT Cooking
2 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, minced
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Pinch of cinnamon
Red pepper flakes, to taste
3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and gristle
2 large red onions, peeled and quartered
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Prepare marinade for the chicken: Whisk together first 10 ingredients, lemon juice to red pepper flakes and combine with chicken in a large bowl or gallon-size plastic bag.
Store in fridge for at least 3 hours, or up to 12 hours.
To cook: Heat oven to 425º F. Use a half-sheet pan with a shallow rim and grease with 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
Add the red onions to the marinating chicken and toss to coat onions. Spread chicken and onions on the pan and spread evenly.
Roast for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and beginning to brown at the edges. Remove from oven.
With tongs, move hot chicken pieces to cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch slices, or into bits, if you prefer. You can serve at this point, OR:
Optional, but good: Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to a skillet and heat to smoking point. Add chicken and sauté until chicken begins to crisp.
Scatter parsley over the top and serve with grilled pita bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, white sauce, garlic sauce, feta, rice, fried eggplant…. Pretty much anything you like!
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 30552. REC: Chicken Shawarma. We love middle-eastern/Mediterranean food, and this recipe is delicious! - Michael in Phoenix - 6:19pm on 10/17/18 (7)
- Thank you!!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:10am on 10/18/18
- my daughter loves this recipe from the Times. I haven't tried it but I did buy some at Trader - Janet in NC - 1:13pm on 10/18/18
- If you like Chicken Shawarma, you'll like this recipe. I'd link to the original, but I don't.. - Michael in Phoenix - 2:45pm on 10/18/18
- Thanks Michael.I love Shawarma. Will try this chicken version. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:17pm on 10/18/18
- Here’s the nyt link. Can’t wait to try this, thanks Michael! [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 2:53am on 10/19/18
- That's the one. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 2:23pm on 10/19/18
- Made it last night. Delicious as promised, Michael - CathyZKauai - 3:27pm on 10/21/18