Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here’s her Rec: Bourbon glazed pound cake recipe. No sour cream in this one.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30551 at 10:31 pm on Oct 18, 2018
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
2 cups (460 grams) butter, softened
2¾ cups (573 grams) granulated sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
3¾ cups (525 grams) all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon (0.5 gram) ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon (0.75 gram) kosher salt
½ cup (123 grams) whole milk
1 teaspoon (5 grams) orange zest
1 teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
Bourbon Glaze (recipe follows)
Let ingredients come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in zest and vanilla. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Spoon Bourbon Glaze over cake.
Makes about 1½ cups
1 cup (210 grams) granulated sugar
½ cup (118 grams) bourbon
7 tablespoons (105 grams) butter
In a small saucepan, combine sugar, bourbon, and butter. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 30551. Recipe: Sweet Potato Pie Perfected featured in Garden and Gun Magazine [LINK] - GayR - 10:55am on 10/17/18 (21)
- [NT] - GayR - 11:03am on 10/17/18
- Here is an article on the award winning Pastry Chef plus additional recipe featured in [LINK] - GayR - 12:08pm on 10/17/18
- If you ever are near Birmingham, DO eat at Frank Stitt's Highlands Grill - Charley - 9:05am on 10/18/18
- Actually, we did eat there. We used to fly into Birmingham to go to Hoover music - MarilynFL - 5:37pm on 10/18/18
- Amen to her recommendations. Roasting garnet yams and then buzzing them in - MarilynFL - 9:10pm on 10/17/18
- Marilyn, Her Bourbon Glazed Pound Cake is in the second post..... [NT] - GayR - 9:36pm on 10/17/18
- Mar, Interesting article Southern Living, plus recipes The Best Way to Make a Pound Cake [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 7:57am on 10/18/18
- Southern Living - Ten Steps to the Perfect Pound Cake [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 8:03am on 10/18/18
- More pound cake hints: The Biggest Mistake When Making a Pound Cake by SL [LINK] - wigs - 10:48am on 10/18/18
- Even MORE Southern Living Pound Cake tips "13 Ways To Ruin a Pound Cake" + RECs for: [LINK] - wigs - 11:00am on 10/18/18
- Okay...lots of reading to do. Construction guy asked for buttermilk chocolate cake. Southern? [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:59pm on 10/18/18
- Here’s her Rec: Bourbon glazed pound cake recipe. No sour cream in this one. [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 10:31pm on 10/18/18
- oh geez...you're right. Construction guys loved the cake...I thought it was dry. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:57pm on 10/18/18
- No worries about dryness! I run across so many people that are sooo impressed. . . - mistral - 12:55pm on 10/19/18
- I thought pound cake was supposed to be on the dry side. Am I all wet? (Pun intended!) [NT] - wigs - 8:57am on 10/18/18
- Certainly not "dry" but not "sad", although pound cake is good no matter how it is!! ;o) [NT] - Charley - 8:59am on 10/18/18
- NOt enough butter--it's a POUND cake!! LOL Maybe over baking, however--or - Charley - 9:01am on 10/18/18
- Yes, I know it didn't have 2 cups of butter, just one, but it also had a cup of full-fat sour cream. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:58pm on 10/18/18
- I was sort of kidding about the "pound" thing. I have made sour cream pound cakes - Charley - 5:48am on 10/19/18
- Here is the bourbon glazed pound cake recipe and as you see, for her 6 eggs - Charley - 9:10am on 10/18/18
- This looks like a good pound cake REC. Check out the height on this in link picture! [LINK] - wigs - 9:55am on 10/19/18