Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Millions of folks have a Facebook account and many seem to really enjoy it
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #30558 at 4:27 pm on Oct 19, 2018
is a total time sponge for many, and many admit to spending too much time on Facebook when at work. I am not questioning anyone's choices about a social network but I will give you my experience with them.
Years ago, a friend of mine who was also a member of the same pet therapy dog group (we visited assisted living facilities, colleges, schools and hospitals with our trained dogs) bought an RV and with her husband and two collies took a 3 month tour of the US. She set up a Facebook account and wanted all her friends to follow her on the journey. I loved it, lived seeing her pictures, etc. I never did venture any further that her website.
When she was back home, and I no longer had a reason to log into Facebook, I started getting two and three emails from them every week, sometimes once a day or more. I found out they hijacked my email and knew who my friends were and started to send messages that friends had posted on Facebook and that I should visit them. I cancelled my account, but to this day, I still get emails. They find out lots of info about you and use it I am not a fan of Facebook, and have heard many stories about how people turned on each other, even friends during our last presidential election. It was awful and some folks were even in tears.
So, if you decide to use it, do so with caution. I would not post personal pictures of you, your home, your trips and never let them know you are on vacation for a period of time. Too many bad things have happened.
Facebook is a good way to locate long lost friends, keep up with new ones, make new friends, but, again, do so with caution and do not share too much information. You can set up tight privacy settings on your account, and that seems to help.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 30558. Can you believe this since I created a Facebook account, they asked for a photo of me and today my b [NT] - oli - 2:44pm on 10/19/18 (23)
- I can't edit my post. So as I was saying they wanted a photo of me and while I waited 72 hrs. - oli - 2:49pm on 10/19/18
- Millions of folks have a Facebook account and many seem to really enjoy it - KarenNoCA - 4:27pm on 10/19/18
- I think that is a fair assessment, Karen. Steve Donner considered it the evil empire. - Michael in Phoenix - 6:31pm on 10/19/18
- So, Michael, did you have to open up a new FB account to be able to play? - oli - 11:00pm on 10/19/18
- Oli, I started with FB many years ago and let my account sit for a couple of years. No activity... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:41pm on 10/20/18
- Michael, I gave the school thing a try just for fun and nothing from my generation, nothing - oli - 7:00pm on 10/20/18
- I attended public school from 1965 to 1978 and found several for each level. ??? [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 4:06pm on 10/21/18
- But then, my schools were in a large city. Not sure if that is the same in your case. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:11pm on 10/22/18
- My 2 schools was in Burnaby, which is a suburb of Vancouver, like Paradise Valley - oli - 8:29pm on 10/22/18
- C'mon Oli. Let's do some creative googling see what we come up with. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 8:11pm on 10/23/18
- Did the google thing, maybe I am not spending enough hours, but I may try again, but I don't expect - oli - 9:02pm on 10/23/18
- Just add bacon, Oli. Doesn't bacon fix everything?? ;-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:51am on 10/24/18
- :-D!!! [NT] - LisainLA - 2:18pm on 10/24/18
- I would love to. Problem is it solves everything mometarily. Going vegan lately, but bacon is yum. [NT] - oli - 12:46am on 10/25/18
- Yep, I feel the same. I don’t and haven’t done FB ever - MariaDNoCA - 6:05am on 10/20/18
- Thanks, I agree. More details with G over FB. I was able to send message to the - oli - 2:45pm on 10/20/18
- I totally agree with you and that is why I only now have set up an account to find out - oli - 10:38pm on 10/19/18
- KarenNoCA, U had a similar experience to mine during my very brief sojourn into FB. I - wigs - 7:00am on 10/20/18
- I also had initially set it up to see if it was something I could really use. I don't know how many - oli - 2:53pm on 10/20/18
- I put a pic of a seagull for mine which was accepted by FB - Anna_X - 8:09pm on 10/19/18
- Thanks for the suggestions, Anna. - oli - 10:40pm on 10/19/18
- Account accepted. I am waiting for a report on my first account, to see why they deactivated it. [NT] - oli - 10:17pm on 10/19/18
- Gave up waiting for the report - taking too long [NT] - oli - 3:53pm on 10/21/18