Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
KarenNoCA, U had a similar experience to mine during my very brief sojourn into FB. I
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #30558 at 7:00 am on Oct 20, 2018
opened an account early on to see what all the hype was about. I never posted my picture (evidently it wasn't a requirement at the onset), but it wasn't long before I began receiving E-mail "reminders" that so-and-so's birthday was coming up, and I should wish them a happy day. I initially assumed that FB had associated me w/ family, friends and acquaintances whose FB sites I had visited and whom I had friended.
But then I began receiving birthday reminders for people I didn't recognize. What the heck? I finally figured out FB was accessing my entire E-mail address book because some of those reminders were for individuals I had catered for 10 years earlier and had not had any interaction with since, but I still had their E-mail addresses sitting in my on-line address book. Those reminders ramped up to my receiving 10 or more about every other day! Good grief.
After much hair pulling trying various way to get this to stop, the way I finally managed to eliminate the reminders and deluge of E-mail from FB was to close down the FB account AND close down that old E-mail account. I have not set foot in the big black hole called FB ever since!
Other messages in this thread:
- 30558. Can you believe this since I created a Facebook account, they asked for a photo of me and today my b [NT] - oli - 2:44pm on 10/19/18 (23)
- I can't edit my post. So as I was saying they wanted a photo of me and while I waited 72 hrs. - oli - 2:49pm on 10/19/18
- Millions of folks have a Facebook account and many seem to really enjoy it - KarenNoCA - 4:27pm on 10/19/18
- I think that is a fair assessment, Karen. Steve Donner considered it the evil empire. - Michael in Phoenix - 6:31pm on 10/19/18
- So, Michael, did you have to open up a new FB account to be able to play? - oli - 11:00pm on 10/19/18
- Oli, I started with FB many years ago and let my account sit for a couple of years. No activity... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:41pm on 10/20/18
- Michael, I gave the school thing a try just for fun and nothing from my generation, nothing - oli - 7:00pm on 10/20/18
- I attended public school from 1965 to 1978 and found several for each level. ??? [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 4:06pm on 10/21/18
- But then, my schools were in a large city. Not sure if that is the same in your case. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:11pm on 10/22/18
- My 2 schools was in Burnaby, which is a suburb of Vancouver, like Paradise Valley - oli - 8:29pm on 10/22/18
- C'mon Oli. Let's do some creative googling see what we come up with. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 8:11pm on 10/23/18
- Did the google thing, maybe I am not spending enough hours, but I may try again, but I don't expect - oli - 9:02pm on 10/23/18
- Just add bacon, Oli. Doesn't bacon fix everything?? ;-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:51am on 10/24/18
- :-D!!! [NT] - LisainLA - 2:18pm on 10/24/18
- I would love to. Problem is it solves everything mometarily. Going vegan lately, but bacon is yum. [NT] - oli - 12:46am on 10/25/18
- Yep, I feel the same. I don’t and haven’t done FB ever - MariaDNoCA - 6:05am on 10/20/18
- Thanks, I agree. More details with G over FB. I was able to send message to the - oli - 2:45pm on 10/20/18
- I totally agree with you and that is why I only now have set up an account to find out - oli - 10:38pm on 10/19/18
- KarenNoCA, U had a similar experience to mine during my very brief sojourn into FB. I - wigs - 7:00am on 10/20/18
- I also had initially set it up to see if it was something I could really use. I don't know how many - oli - 2:53pm on 10/20/18
- I put a pic of a seagull for mine which was accepted by FB - Anna_X - 8:09pm on 10/19/18
- Thanks for the suggestions, Anna. - oli - 10:40pm on 10/19/18
- Account accepted. I am waiting for a report on my first account, to see why they deactivated it. [NT] - oli - 10:17pm on 10/19/18
- Gave up waiting for the report - taking too long [NT] - oli - 3:53pm on 10/21/18