Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Penzeys new spice mix and a recipe
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #30560 at 4:25 pm on Oct 21, 2018
Even though the temps in the valley are still pushing the low 90's (with morning temps down to 48°) I am into my Fall cooking mode. Saturday, I made Boeuf Bourguignon, and although it was good, it needed something...umami. I grabbed my free sample from my last order from Penzeys, Tsar Dust Memories, a Russian Style Seasoning. Ingredients list says, salt,garlic,cinnamon, black pepper and marjoram and nutmeg. A little bit did it, that certain kick I was looking for. This morning, I made Shakshuka for our breakfast, and again, it was good but lacked ?. Again, I used the Tsar Dust, it took it over the top from good to excellent.
Now, for a recipe I am loving. I make all my salad dressings from scratch, and Chris at Cafe Sucre Farine is ONE of my go to places for her talent in using the freshest, brightest ingredients available each season.
Orange Cilantro Vinaigrette
1/4 cup Safflower oil or other mild-flavored oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
zest of 1 medium navel orange
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons finely chopped shallots (or young red onion)
1 tsp. grainy mustard
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. black papper
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or basil (if I use these, I add them to the salad at the last minute.
Combine all ingredients except cilantro in a medium size jar with tight fitting lid. Cover and shake well to combine. Shake before using.
Last night a made a coleslaw using very thinly shredded green cabbage from the Farmers Market, shredded carrots, green onion, Asian pear, cut into chunks and a crisp tart apple cut into chunks. Dressing was awesome with this, I garnished with toasted pecans.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 30560. Penzeys new spice mix and a recipe - KarenNoCA - 4:25pm on 10/21/18 (10)
- Don't you just love when a little something fixes up a big blah. It's like the universe - MarilynFL - 9:39pm on 10/21/18
- I have been looking at that one in the Penzey's catalog. Nice to hear it provides that zing. - Richard in Cincy - 1:27pm on 10/22/18
- I can't handle soy so I have to try these. Thank you! [NT] - Anna_X - 6:10pm on 10/22/18
- Usually, I might add a tablespoon of my Oliver Balsamic vinegar, which we love - KarenNoCA - 7:14pm on 10/22/18
- Where do you source the coconut aminos? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 7:16pm on 10/22/18
- TJ's or Target for a coupel - Charley - 1:33pm on 10/23/18
- Thanks, I will look for it. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 4:43pm on 10/23/18
- I see it everywhere: local grocery stores, Trader Joe, next to the soy sauce. - Richard in Cincy - 4:02pm on 10/23/18
- Coconut Secret is my preferred brand, others I've tried aren't as good. See pic. [NT] [IMAGE] - Richard in Cincy - 6:08pm on 10/27/18
- Thanks for mentioning the coconut aminos. I picked up a bottle and TJs - nice! - LisainLA - 4:20am on 11/03/18